Does anyone use Desmopressin to release norturia?

Posted , 9 users are following.

A friend of mine has started taking desmopressin to help with how many times he has to get up during the night to void. According to him, he went from 5 times a night to once a night in just a week. Desmopressin is used by children to prevent bed wetting. I'll be seeing my Uro tomorrow and will let you all know what he thinks...maybe drug interactions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Meant to say relieve nocturia not release nocturia.

• Posted

This is not a new drug for nocturia. It has been used for quite some time to help reduce the amount of urine produced at night. My understanding is that desmopressin helps to reduce the amount of urine produced while sleeping. However, it does not reduce the total amount of urine produced in a 24 hour period. Therefore, you will urinate more liquid during the daytime. I tend to produce a lot of urine at night as well, but have not yet tried desmopressin. I find that compression socks worn during the daytime (not at night while sleeping) helps to reduce the amount of liquid that pools in my legs during the daytime. Consequently, when the body is horizontal at night, there is less liquid that needs to be processed by the kidneys. I expect that desmopressin is more effective, but if you haven't tried compression socks, maybe you should try them first. Also, I want to mention that I have no signs of swollen legs or ankles, yet my journal clearly shows that compression socks do help to reduce the amount of liquid I urinate during the nighttime. On average, this reduced the number of times I get up by 1 to around 2 to 3 times a night.

• Posted

I have nocturia too and just eat a small bag of salted potato chips a few hours before bed. It helps a lot as the salt retains fluids in the kidneys during the night. But be careful if you have high BP. I don't but I check it every week. Now I just get up once a night.

• Posted

Hi harry1289,

I was prescribed a desmopressin analogue called Noqdirna when I was 67. It was a tablet that dissolved under the tongue (oral lyophilisate) but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I took it for three weeks but had to stop taking it because I put on over 4Kg due to water retention. I also had to have my sodium levels monitored because of my age as hyponatremia is a possible side-effect. It's not something I would like to go back to.

Regards

• Posted

Does desmopressin work only if you pee a lot at night -- i.e. polyuria -- or any kind of nocturia?

• Posted

When I pee at night sometimes only a little comes out, so it's not like my body is making too much urine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.