Does anyone use Innohep or other blood thinner injections?

Posted , 5 users are following.

If anyone can help and tell me how not to get the painful lumps after injecting I would be grateful. There must be a technique. Sometimes I don’t get any pain and a tiny little bruise. Other times it really hurts when the injection goes in and I get a really painful lump and massive bruise. Any advice?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi moon,

Unfortunately, this is the downside of injecting. I did not get any lumps and only the occasional bruise, do you squeese the skin together when injecting and hold it for 10 seconds afterwards, do not rub the area and do it on opposite sides each night. I am afraid that is all I can say.

• Posted

I do squeeze the skin gently to get the fat out but find it too painful to hold for 10 seconds. I put ice on before and after. Did it sting when you injected? I have very sensitive skin maybe that is why I have problems.
    • Posted

Yes moon, it did sting after the injection went in and sometimes it bruised like evee said on one side I also found that side slightly more painful. I got my husband to do the injections as I did not like doing it. Was there a reason they did not give you tablets, you could ask.
    • Posted

I was originally on tablets but the side effects were terrible, really bad migraines numbness, nausea, Diarrhea and really bad anxiety.  Also the symptoms of the PEs only got better on injections, I kept going back into a&e because of the severe chest pains, breathlessness and palpitations on the tablets. After a couple of days on injections everything got so much easier and I look and feel much better. I can live with bruises and bumps a lot easier than permanent panic mode and really bad health!

• Posted

I was put on apixaban and I had the same problems, I was so ill, I stopped taking it after a month. At the moment I am drinking and eating natural anti coagulants with a lot of praying.
    • Posted

How long did you have to be on blood thinners for before they let you go natural? I was told 6-9 months. What natural anti coagulants are there? I am worried when I come off because I have a sensitive stomach and won’t be able to take aspirin.
    • Posted

I was supposed to be on the apixaban for 3 months, after a month I was so ill. I went to the GP the next day and told him how bad I felt and I was not taking it again, explained I was going to take bromelain which is a natural anti coagulant, he offered warfarin which I declined, he said you are taking a risk and advised I buy ginger root.

Along with the bromelain and ginger I have ground flaxseed, magnesuim citerate and drink plenty of water which I was not doing before along with exercise.

• Posted

First time I had PE's , I was on blood thinners 6 months. Off the Coumadin less than 3 months and developed blood clots again but this time both lungs. So, I'm now on blood thinners for life. Diagnosed end of June and it's currently in July. This time my insurance company wants the PT/INR by blood draw and not finger poke!! So, I understand your worries!

• Posted

Aspirin is not enough. I was on aspirin for my heart stents and I developed the PEs.
  • Posted

Hi Moon, Jen is right. Do the injection slowly, trying to keep the syringe as still as possible and then hold for 10 secs before withdrawing the needle. And alternate the side.

Following my PE I had to inject Clexane for 3 months, sometimes 2 injections a day and then once a day, but 2 at a time neutral. Even applying the above I still ended up with an occassional bruising or lumps under the skin (and a terrible itch).

I also noticed that one side of my belly was more prone to bruising and lumps than the other, so in the end when I was injecting only once a day I was doing iot only to one side.

Good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

thinking about it I think I have a side that bruises and lumps up more too. Thanks for the advice and I will try and go a bit slower.
  • Posted

I don’t have to do injections for my blood thinners I take a pill every day but I do get monthly B-12 shots. I used to get big knots and bruises but since my boyfriend started giving me my shots instead of my daughter in law I find that going slower and at a slight angle and I get no bruise and no knot and the medicine doesn’t leak out any more!!
    • Posted

Just out of interest why do you get shots of b12 over tablets? Does it work better?
  • Posted

I’ve had surgery and my stomach does not absorb vitamins. So I need to inject the B-12 other vitamins like calcium I just take 6 a day. 
  • Posted

If you find out, PLEASE let me know too! Right now, from the Lovenox, my abdomen is covered with huge bruises and those hard lumps. Last time I was on the Lovenox, most of them went away after 8 months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.