does anyone want to be off sertraline but scared tat depression and anxiety will come back?

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi everyone , my last post was about a blip I went through I've kind of come through it now almost.

I just get so worries when these things happen, like I think I'm getting back to normal them a couple late nights and boom I've taken a few steps backwards again. just to remind you I was diagnosed with panic disorder and depression after a bad reaction to 1 dose of citalopram 200mg.

it gave me such severe panick attack that it never went away, I tried coping my self for 1 month but lost so much weight and got severely depressed that I was suicidal. any cut long storey short dr put me in 50mg of sertraline since 1st November 2015 ( I got even worse to begin with ) now I'm about 90% better with 2 blips lasting a few days and 2 panick attack lasting just minutes. I'm scared of 2 things , 1) coming off sertraline as I won't be able to tolerate withdrawel affects and think all my original symptoms may come back?

2) if I don't come off them ever, will one day they just stop working? I've read so many stories of people taking sertraline for 10 years or more and then, it just stops working?? I just want to be my normal self before that awful day in Sept 2015 I took that one dose of citalopram!! I went to the Dr at that time as I was feeling low as I had been made redundant and had a problems with my teen son. but that's all it was , felt a bit down and tired, I'm 38 years old btw. nurse practitioner have me 200mg of citalopram. I really don't think it was necessary at that point as I was still functioning still able to cool clean wash take care of my kids laugh with friends ect. then after taking that rubbish it caused damage and now on sertraline! !

sorry to ramble on , I needed to get it all off my chest and see what other people's thoughts were? what you have gone through what you hope to achieve and how ? and I think I suffered post traumatic stress from the severe side affect of the citalopram??

many thanks for reading.

lattifa xx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

sorry not 200mg citalopram 20mg I meant
  • Posted

Hi I know exactly how you feel, I'm trying to come off sertraline myself I was on 100mg and now down to 50mg, coming down from 100 to 75 was quite easy but since going from 75 to 50 I don't feel so good and have been taking propranolol most days to help with the anxiety, but I am determined to try and get of sertraline, good luck to you you can do it just like I can 😄
    • Posted

oh wow, plz keep in touch with me and let me know how you do? xx

how ling were you on it?

• Posted

Will do 😀 I've been on sertraline since September 18th 2015 😄
    • Posted

I was thinking to sue the np for giving me the citalopram ???
  • Posted

I've just stopped taking escitalopram totally today after cutting down for over a month no change in anxiety since I cut down it actually has gotten better but today I've been feeling a it dizzy and I never feel dizzy
    • Posted

ok, so how long have you been off it totally? and isn't that a bit fast to cut down over 1 month?
  • Posted

Today is first day I'm totally off it and yea it's quick but they don't work so no point in taken them I take propanolol that helps a lot 
    • Posted

I guess if it hasn't worked you won't feel.side affects of coming off.

is their anyone who it has worked for and want to come off but is too scared? ?

• Posted

Idk but even if they do or don't work u will probaly get withdrawal symptoms but I think depends on the person how bad they are

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.