Does anyone wish they'd kept a pessary and cancelled the op?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am new to this group. I have had a vaginal and uterine prolapse since my third child 14 years ago.  I have had a ring pessary in place for the last 6 mths which has relieved the symptoms considerably.   I'm due to have anterior/posterior repairs and vaginal hysterectomy in a month and I'm so scared about having it done.  

I get back ache from the ring pessary and I can't do exercise like I used to so on one hand I would like to get the op done so I can do without it.  However on the other hand I've been warned that urinary incontinence could get worse after this surgery.  It's not too bad at the moment - certainly doesn't stop me doing anything

Has anyone been in a similar situation and moved from a ring pessary to surgery?  How has it turned out for you?

Many thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire

I didn't opt for a pessary but had an anterior/posterior repair 13 days ago and also had a perenium repair. I was scared too about the op as I guess everyone if they're honest is. I didn't have urinary incontenece problems before the op and that has remained the same. The operation itself was nothing to be concerned about as I had a general which worked in seconds and the next thing I knew I was awake in the recovery room feeling very bemused and in no pain . I hope your op goes well, try not to stress over it, will be over and done with before you know it X best of luck xx

• Posted

I had a ring pessary for three years and it worked well for me till a few months ago when I started to get a heavy discharge from wearing it. I had a repair (anterior) done 14 weeks ago. There was a period of five weeks when I really regretted having the surgery when I had an infection and ended up with vaginal ulcers at the entrance. Slowly clearing up now and have gone back to work.
  • Posted

Hi Claire I had a ring pessary after having a posterior repair whilst waiting to go back for a vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair, it helped. I had the hys and an t repair 7 months ago the recovery was slow but no problems with urinary incontinence just do your pelvic floor exercices. I do get lower abdomen and backache sometimes now but it is bearable. Hope this helps, good luck Les x
  • Posted

Hopefully your operation is going to be by a Urogynaecologist? The failure rate is higher if you don't. These particular surgeons have had extra training to do these repairs.  Whoever told you that you might get worse incontinence is talking through a hole in their head! Every operation has a failure rate, but that rate is so low anyway and won't be from uncomplicated surgery. Like 1% or something that just isn't worth getting all worked up about, let alone believing it isn't worth having an operation because there is such a minority that have complications. Who told you that? Lots of us have the anterior repair for exactly the problem of incontinence. My surgery 4mths ago CURED mine. The operation is NOTHING to be all wound up about. If you get yourself worked up about it, then it may become more complicated because you've put your body through so much stress. I don't see any point in stressing pre-op. I've had my fair share of operations. 
    • Posted

Thank you Robyn.  That's just the sort of reply I need to hear - logical & positive.  there aren't enough positive stories on the internet - I guess because those lucky ladies don't tell everyone.

Yes I'm having it done by a urogynaecologist in Chester and she seems to know her stuff.  She's the one who thought I might need a bladder sling afterwards.  But she said I'd have to wait and see.  I'm having a vag hysterectomy and ant repair and possibly post repair too.  

Last night I was worrying about bloating, weight gain and return to sexual activity.  Do you mind me asking your experience?

• Posted

Hi Claire. YAY, somebody I can relate to and discuss things with. I got into trouble on here from some ladies a couple of months ago for saying it like it is and not molly-coddling people!! I'm a Registered Nurse although didn't do extra nursing in this field like Matron did. But still know enough about surgery in general etc. I'm SO glad you are having a proper Urogynae. Please don't worry. I'm SO happy I had it done. I had a TOT sling put in during anterior repair vaginally. Don't know what the bloating is all about. I thought that would only be if surgery done via laproscope. I didn't gain weight as I made sure I didn't eat for the sake of eating, when not doing much excercise. I only stayed in bed one day after coming home. I can't do that. I never knew about squatting or bending down to floor to pick things up was not to be done until very recently on here. I joined here at 1wk post-op due to a puzzling discharge I was having. Turned out it was urine constantly leaking due to ecoli infection in the bladder. Put up with it for a month stupidly as didn't want to look dumb by ringing Surgeons Nurse. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I didn't get any answers off here during that month either. So that is why I just put up with it. I am 57. I am way too OCD in everyday life to rest completely for weeks on end. I didn't walk long distances in that 6wks. But did do over 7.000 steps the day of Daughters 30th which was only a week or two post-op as wanted her to have the same birthday I would have done for her if I hadn't had surgery. Silly I know, but that is just me. I don't appear to have damaged anything. I watch my eating daily normally, so continued that post-op too. I tend to put on weight very easily if I don't. Sexual activity was deemed a no go until after post-op check which here in New Zealand was at 6wks. I seem to think we didn't "do it" until around 8wks. That was more scary a prospect for me than the surgery! Haha! I had a Grade 1 posterior prolapse as well when diagnosed with anterior one & my consent form was for both to be repaired if surgeon deemed necessary during surgery. He was reluctant to do the posterior one and said in his words "things can get a bit tight in there with both being repaired", so his advice was to hopefully only do the anterior if possible. I didn't need perineal repairs. Go into surgery with a positive outlook and know that every operation has a recovery time which isn't nice at all, but life will be brilliant given time. Mine is. I had a 15/14mm tumour removed on Jan. 19th from just below 3rd and 4th toe on left foot, and that has been harder to recover. WAY too sore and I limped for a month and then hardened up and just pushed through the pain. Still hurts by evening. It is my 4th in my feet. Last 3 removed 7yrs ago. My 6wk check today and Surgeon said I'm doing way better than he thought I would be. I just try and be positive in adversity. Just my nature. You can do it too. GO FOR IT Girl. 
  • Posted

Hi ,

Yes, i had a ring fitted over three year ago and like yourself it did help bit , but finally realised that prolapse still continues to grow worse and you don't have much of a life. Had my surgery a repair at the front, and hysterectomy, what a difference, it does take time to heal but eventually you get your life back and can walk , swim , cycle, return to work, without being in pain. Even housework (as much as I hate that)! It is so worth getting surgery!

This time round as soon as prolapse started again opted straight away for surgery, wanted to minimize damage as quickly as possible so recovery would be quicker! As for incontinence - 1st time worse after surgery, but very quickly sorted itself, 2nd time only problem first thing in morning , but should sort itself through pelvic floor exercises, think it's more the shock of the anisthetic. Pelvic floor exercise does really help but have to kept doing all the time! Hope this helps, and you get things sorted out !

• Posted

thanks for your reply Phyllis.  Am I reading this correctly.  Did you have a repair and hysterectomy and then the prolapse started to come back again?  Do you know why it came back again so quickly.  
    • Posted

Not sure why prolapse recurred so soon after 3 years, was told could last up to 10 years, Gp said should have lasted longer, ward doctor said obviously got weak ligaments (don't think they can do much to help that), physio said that I will always have to watch what I'm doing . I work in supermarket front end on checkouts, minimum 10 hours a week plus overtime, usually 5 hour shifts or more, sometimes sitting (packing bag's can be an issue), or sometimes hosting selfscab area which involves being on my feet (lower back get really sore after 3/4 hours. I do try to get my suoervisor to juggle things about but probably should not be in this type of employment. I also like to walk , swim or cycle to keep fit, they say these are OK to do as long as you don't overdo it. It does help to keep muscles toned, but didn't get out much last autumn due to weather and possibly took to many shifts on in the run up to Xmas, really worried now as most jobs involve some amount of time on feet or involve weight bearing issues, at 56 still got 11 years ahead in work till retirement, which is a bit of a joke on us women who are no longer allowed to retire at 60! All very well if fit and healthy! If I'm carefully this time may last till over 60! But very frustrating when unable to build up extrange hours, was averaging around 22/3 hours a week. Luckily my mortgage is paid off but feel I am being cheeted from benifiting from that!

Hope things go well for you , think anyone undergoing this surgery has to always be careful especially once undergone the change as it does weaken the ligaments!

Phyl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.