Does anything work to stop this??? It's totally disrupting my life

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Wow, reading these posts is depressing...it seems like nothing really works. I've only developed rhinitis over the last year...it runs in my family. My grandma had it for years, my mum had it from 17 till she was in her 30s, my sister's had it forever...I thought I'd got away with not getting it, until last year, and since then it's been unbearable. It comes on suddenly with no warning, usually an attack lasts really intensely for 24 hours then leaves me really exhausted the next day, and then it's gone until the next time. I've had to leave work numerous times (I'm training to be a nurse and dripping nasal fluids on patients is not cool)... It's so bad sinetimes that my face swells up from all the fluids. I get it so often recently but there doesn't seem to be any obvious triggers (which is the same for my family). Yesterday I was doing some gardening so I ditched the tissues all together and just let the drip do it's thing (yeah, gross I know but it saved my nose getting even more sore and dry from constant wiping)... And I kid you not, it was like a large raindrop coming out of my nose every couple of seconds...I have to drink so much water to stay hydrated. Driving is a nightmare coz of the constant sneezing and running eyes. Seeing actual people is out of the question coz I look like a puffed up red nosed ogre and it makes me irritable and impatient (I'm a very placid tolerant person usually)... I've tried most of the antihistamines on the market, I've tried nasal sprays, cold and flu remedies, and nothing even touches the side.

And does anyone find that people constantly ask you if you've got a cold? And you get the impression that people think you're just being a wimp with a runny nose? I feel like no-one understands how incredibly miserable it makes you feel when you're in the clutches of an attack.

I just want it to stop and go away. How can I make this happen???

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get allergy tests and try nasal irrigation with neti pot

Hope it helps

• Posted

Hi Kaydrippynose,

There are so many people with the same problem, me being one. After trying every treatment the doctor could come up with including nasal surgery I had private allergy tests and found I had non allergic rhinitus. 

Antihistamines have no effect and I have tried the very strongest ones only available on prescription and in fact make it worse. Endless nasal sprays and asthma inhalers which seemed to help but not stop it. 

I found some very recent research in US on the use of red pepper nasal sprays which seem to people about 75% of people with this problem.

Spoke to my doctor who agreed it could do no harm and tried it,  stop all the attacks, no more PND, running nose, couching up mucus. I can breath again, spring stoped and just feel so much better my life is back!!. See the reply on Mike67926 on this site. He tried it and had the same results as did Lynda98099.

You can buy it on line from the manufacturer in Holland direct Capsinol Original formula red pepper nasal spray. You will find some interesting blogs on the site about other peoples results. 

I now use this once in the morning and night and have no problems (first time in 4 years). It does not work for everybody but is a natural produce and better that chemicals up your nose. 

The longer it goes on the less I use but at first when I felt an attack coming on I took one puff and it stops it instantly. Appears to stop your sinus reacting to a trigger and therefore stop the production of the gunk!!

Let me know how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi. I suggest you use traditional medicine. I did not find a good result after taking all the medications (pills, sprays, steroids, allergy shots) and waste a lot money. Using a method called allergy cupping , I recovered about 70%.

• Posted

Hi I totally understand how you feel. My nose is constantly blocked and it's really getting me down.no nasal spray or antihistamine works I'm constantly exhausted from not being able to sleep.its worse at night and early mornings. Had it for ever and can't be without nasal spray even though I know u not meant to use it long term. Feel utterly miserable. Haven't the energy to do anything! Just wish my nose WOULD run a bit! Sometimes it gets totally blocked that it makes me feel panicky because I can't breathe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.