Does arthritis of the knee always become worse over time?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with OA in one knee as a result of a bad fall,  followed by a second similar fall [didn't look where I was going!!] and a few months later after an Xray the OA was revealed. Up until now it has not been a problem but I do find my knee is becoming  increasingly stiff and 'grates' on occasion.  I don't think it is causing me to limp - yet - but I often have to consciously work at preventing that.

I would like to know does this mean the arthritis is deteriorating and is it always inevitable that it will do so? I am 74 and am of normal weight. I walk daily and garden as much as the weather will allow.

I don't want to have surgery if it can be avoided, what can I do to help myself?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

In short, yes...arthritis doesn't get better...only managed.  You may just need a simple scoping to clean the knee out.  Then think of SynVisc to lubricate the knee and keep the pain away.

• Posted

Hi Jane, I had a fall and broke my femur in 2014. It took 2 years to get progressively babad. At first gel shots worked, but eventually I was bone on bone and need a TKR in March. It is a challenging surgery, but worthwhile. In my case the femur break went right into the knee joint, so arthritis set in. Good luck.
  • Posted

Actually arteritis does get worse with time.

Also the Cold weather (Winter) will make the joint feel really bad, stuff & painful.

You should take Glucosamine tablets. That will help with the arthritis pain.

• Posted

Glucosamine was an expensive failure for me. It won't of course do anything for bone on bone, it's not a pain killer.. Just suppose to help cartilage regeneration but the jury is out on whether it does or not apparently. 

• Posted

Once again i don't think you can generalise. I have had OA for thirty years since the age of 35. Nothing more than nuisance pain at first but gradually getting slightly worst year by year and bone on bone for several now. Just had TKR 8 weeks ago and looking promising, especially in terms of aching and walking. Even with it I could play sport till  a few years ago, albeit in agony at times. Tends to get stiff after activity then feels better again once rested. In fact if I had wanted to just sit in an armchair and never stand or walk I think I could have got by fairly pain free! I think though in short it doesn't get better but it can be a very slow process getting worse.

• Posted

I have been getting the 3 series synvisc shots for 10 years or more. If not for them I would not be able to walk. I can tell when they are wearing off. Stairs get hard to walk up. Cortisone is a joke. It does nothing and side affects can be bad. Doc I been seeing since 1985 just retired. Which sucks. I hate change. New one is a RPA. She's nice and all. Just not as experienced. Old doc I never felt a thing. New one they hurt a bit but nothing I can't handle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.