Does bad acid reflex effect Diverticulitis?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I suffer from both acid reflex and diverticulitis. Has anyone heard that maybe the acid is what starts my Diverticulitis?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Good morning and a happy Christmas to you.

Acid reflux occurs in the upper part of the GI tract and diverticulitis is in the lower part so very unlikely for one to have an effect on the other. i think perhaps that some people are just generally more prone to digestive problems. Hope that helps.

• Posted

I have GORDM and diverticulitis, 30 Erosions in stomach and, 20 in dupdenum drom taking Ibuprofen instead of steroids for,polymalgia.

Constant yellow bright staining diarrhoea on bath mat and not even aware of it. 2-3 times am. Sometimes pm.frightened to go out. tests proved nothing so I have to carry on for rest of life I suppose.

wishing us all better health in the New Year.

• Posted

hello I HAVE BOTH PLUS LACTOSE INTOLERANCE. i feel they are all somewhat related and due to certain food, especially fried foods, nuts, and raw vegetables. I control the lactose intolerance by taking lactaid milk in my coffee, and lactaid pills before every meal. LOPERAMID/imodium to prevent or cure unexpected diarrhea, and Tylenol for the lower left and back pain of diverticulosis

• Posted

I feel your pain. Ive been suffering a bout of diverticulisis now for 3 weeks. Ive had diarreah for 3 weeks, stomach cramps, bloating and the most disgusting smelly wind thats constant. Also burping a lot. I havn't had any acid reflux though. I do sometimes suffer with it but not now. Going to doctors tomorrow as I cant take this no more. Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

hi ive had this same problem for over a month, just no diarrea. can i ask, do you get pressure in the head and chest? mostly after eating.. i constantly feel like burping but most of the tome just cant get it out. ive also got diverticular issue according to CT scan but unsure because my symptoms seem to be in the higher regions than the lower

many thanks

• Posted

I had Diverticular Disease for 17 years before being diagnosed with gastritis and a hiatus hernia. In my case there was no connection and one does not affect the other.

• Posted

Hello, I have diverticulitis and my G.I. doc has me on Zantac (ranitidine) for acid reflux.

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses! I suffered with Acid reflux and finally, last year, had the laparoscopic hiatal hernia repair. I went through all the tests prior to the operation. My doctors comment after the tests was, 'boy do you have a lot of acid." I no longer get the acid that comes, in mass, that burns your throat but I still have what they call silent gerd. I am back on Omeprazole because my cough came back, my nose is full and I have that lump in my throat that will not go away. That said, I also have diverticulosis that turns into diverticulitis and the pain is horrible. It starts with burping, then horrible pain, then feeling like I have to go to the bathroom. I suffer for one to three hours, then I have diarrhea. The pain ends when the diarrhea ends. I cannot remember the last time I didn't feel sick to my stomach, not ever. The reason I asked about whether the gerd might related is I thought maybe the awful acid in my stomach might leach into my intestines.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.