Does Barratt's Nausea?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Barrett's about 20 monthns ago following an endescopy. Just before this I had my gallbladder removed and have suffered with IBS since I was 18 (now 60) for which I was given Codeine Phosphate to take. 

?I was having reflux and conatant "burping" which led to the endescopy and the diagnosis of Barretts. I was prescribed Pantoprazole and initially prescribed 20mg morning and evening. I still got some bad attacks so I went privately to see a doctor who was an expert in this field. He suggested a number of further tests and treatment I could have all costing a great deal of money but this wasn't why I hesitated. After discussion he said for me to increase the pantoprazole to 40mg morning and evening (one hour before my meal) plus Ranitidine tablet at night. He then said after six weeks to reduce back to my original dose as the sytems did ease. 

?In the last four weeks though it has all returned with a vengance. Now I get feelings of nausea quite a few times during the day and it has woken me up at night. This as well as the constant burping, and stomach cramps. I also get pains in my lower back which may be trapped wind but it is uncomfortable when I have it.

?Does anyone else suffer with nausea and if so, what do you find helps ?  I have tried Gaviscon, sometimes it helps for a short while but the nausea then returns. 

?Thanks for any thoughts.    

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Brian

I have been diagnosed with Barrets two years ago but I have never had nausea.  Mind you from what I know it seems diffeent people have different symptoms.  I do have a lot of burping and stomach cramps also a bloated stomach.  I take 20 mgs Esomeprazole twice a day.

• Posted

how long have you been on esomeprazole for? Any sides? How old are you if I may ask?
    • Posted

Been on esomeprazole for about two years now and i have not noticed any side effects - i get a bloated feeling in my stomach which I am sure is a result of the meds but nothing other than that.  I am 63 now was diagnosed with Barrets at 61.
    • Posted

Tnx for the reply. I'm on pantoprazole for 5 years which is the same thing as omeprazole --> PPI.

No sides. I'm 25 otherwise healthy.

• Posted

Thanks Mike, my sypmtoms would be very similar to yours if it wasn;t for the spells of nausea. I'm hoping this goes away. My GP prescribed on Friday Domperidone as well as the pantoprazole. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.