Does being on Thyroid medication for life entitle you to free dental care?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, my mum told me she doesn't pay for her dental care because she's on Levothyroxine, is this true?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy88651  No you get free prescriptions as you probably know but not free dental care.  I have beeen on levothyroxine since my 40's so I had to fill in a form to get free prescriptions.  Now I am a pensioner of course I get them anyway but I still have to pay for dental treatment.
    • Posted

Hey, thanks for the reply. Do you know if it entitles you to getting help with your dental care?
    • Posted

Hi  No I don't think so unless you are on benefits you might be. If your mum just has the state pension and gets a top up that might be the reason why she gets free of help with dental care.  
  • Posted

No. You get free prescriptions for medication but it doesn't have any bearing on dental care.
  • Posted

Hi, You get free prescriptions if you take levothyroxine - you have to fill a form in and get your Dr's signature before you can do so.

You can't get free dental care.  If your dentist prescribes antibiotics for you, you have to pay for them even you are a private (not NHS) dental patient.

• Posted

you still pay for dental care it is bizare because some medication discolours ypur teeth .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.