Does benecol help the same way statins do

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am currently awaiting tests for heart problems and have been told I must go on statins, my cholesterol has been checked and is high at 5.7, HDL 1.6 and LDL 3.4 so have been on benecol once a day for the last month. Do statins contains other things that benefits the heart that benecol doesn't have.  I am really trying to avoid taking statins as I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and ache enough without getting joint pains as well. I am on blood thinners as well due to a DVT, god I sound like a right wreck, so do I need statins as well as thinners.   

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

i dont think your cholesterol is high at all.  Do you exercise at all to maybe raise your good cholesterol a bit, fibre etc first.  Maybe ask this question to the dr or have you tried this already?  Been there with statins and still suffer muscle loss three years after coming off them and now swear they damaged my gall bladder.  I have the benecol I think it needs to build up though I’ve been having it for four years now it’s doesnt harm taking it every day.  

• Posted

Hi, I didn't think was that high either and I am trying to eat more healthily and exercise, I ache most of the time anyway so the thought or getting worse is not very appealing. I just think it may be because of the heart concerns, but will speak to GP and ask why I can't just have benecol.  Take care

• Posted

Likewise my opinion is that your cholesterol numbers are fine.  It is not the total but rather the ratio that is important.  You could check out Heart UK the cholesterol charity web page.  Cholesterol is necessary for every cell in the body to work and women need more than men. Not sure why!

Personally I'd steer clear of statins. The GPs have to offer them to you if your QRisk assessment is over 10% which in most people over 40 it is.  You don't have to accept the things though... 

• Posted

Hi, my QRisk was 20.3, GP said it should be under 20.   He said that new guidelines are that everyone over 50 should be on them, I am 58 and female, they have apparently got reports that show a 25% decrease in heart attacks in people taking them.  Still don't want to start them so will keep taking benecol and get a retest in 3 months. Take care

• Posted

Your GP is wrong, the new guide lines don't mention anything about blanket prescribing of statins for the over 50's.  What they did do back in 2014 was decree that everyone with a Qrisk of 10% or over should be offered a statin - not quite the same thing -  this was reduced overnight from 20%  with no justification or explanation.  The GPs have to offer them but it's up to you whether you accept them or not. You could tell the dr that a 20% risk of having any problems in the next 10 years equates to an 80%  chance of NOT having any problems.rolleyes

I was offered them when my Qrisk was 17% and I asked the GP if she were me would she take them given the arthritis and she said definitely NO !

• Posted

HI, I had a call from the GP to run through my blood tests, he said my cholesterol was ok in his view, (a different GP yet again) and that my good cholesterol was excellent.  He said to have another test in a year, but I asked for another test in 3 months to see whether the benecol is making a difference.  GP seems to have their own views, so unless you see the same one every time it is very confusing. I have no intention of taking them if they make me ache more than I do now.  Thanks
    • Posted

I agree with you.  Your ratio is  below what it should be.  Also it may interact with your other medications and/or cause pain that you regret.  I think forget about your numbers, try to cut down on sugar, easy I know but it’s sugar and fats from cakes etc.  Also I found if I cut down on bread things I keep the weight off better.  X
  • Posted

Thing is the statins deplete the good cholesterol not just the bad.  I agree it is the ratio mine last check was 8.5, I cycle 80 miles plus per week and benecol and eat fruit, veg etc.  My good was 2.8 there’s nothing more I can do though, statins caused me such damage but I don’t want to make you worry it’s up to you and no one else.  Just if you can try other methods for say six months first then have another check.  They say they don’t much for women anyway I aren’t sure why
    • Posted

Hi, I am going to ask for a retest in 3 months and really try with diet and benecol and see if I can get it down naturally.  I can't cycle too wobbly LOL, but do walk daily and run up and down stairs as much as I can.

• Posted

Have to agree with the others - your cholesterol readings are not at crisis high level and prior to the unhealthy influence of the pharmaceutical industry which resulted in ridiculous and frankly dangerously low targets, would have been considered 'normal'.  I appreciate you have other heart issues but realistically statins are dangerous and should in my opinion be a last resort not a 'go to' blanket prescribing practice.  It is now publicly acknowledged (see recent national press front page coverage) that statins are a major contributory factor in developing type 2 diabetes which is one of the main causes of heart attacks - it therefore confounds me why people with existing heart issues are ever considered suitable for being given statins!  Best advice from a lay person with experience of these toxins - refuse them and continue with your healthy approach to lifestyle.

• Posted

HI, Loxie, as I messaged above a different GP said my levels were not high, I told him I am not going on any more tablets, I already take a blood thinner for these undiagnosed heart problems so do not need anything else to cause side effects.  I am going to change my diet and keep on with the benecol.  Take care
    • Posted

Good for you.  Keep doing the good stuff and I'm sure you be fine.   Just shows its worth getting a 'second opinion' eh.  I wish I had before I took statins and wrecked my health.

• Posted

Hi youngatheart1 - I agree strenuously with the other posts on here. Avoid the statins. There are so many ill effects from those things. I am a survivor of statins - two years and 4 months clean today. Still dealing with some issues caused by them.
  • Posted

Benecol may reduce your cholesterol level but it is fools gold trying to reduce it.    First, I would like to say that I am a medical biochemist and my specialties are lipid disorders and autoimmune diseases. I was also the co developer of the first commercially available blood test for HDL in the 70’s.  If you have any doubts about the cholesterol scam and how it all started in the 1950’s you need to see the following documentary which exposed the junk science that started the cholesterol phenomena.  A couple of years ago the Australian affiliate of ABC had a show similar to 60 Minutes in the U.S. called the Catalyst and it did the greatest expose on the statin scam that has ever been done.  After it aired on TV statin sales in Australia dropped 35%, which is dramatic considering the fact that most people never saw the documentary. ABC was threatened with legal action by the pharmaceutical industry for exposing their fraud but showed part 2 anyway !  As a result of being threatened by the pharmaceutical industry they moved the 2 part show to the internet for the benefit of the public and doctors .  This is a very high quality documentary done by cardiologists.   Google the following to see the 2 part video. Part 2 will automatically follow part one.  “Catalyst Heart of the Matter you tube”.  Note: This is not conspiracy theory nonsense.  

In the 1980's the normal range used to be about 6.2 mmol/L but the pharmas reduced it to 5.0 because they weren't selling enough statins.  There were no studies done to justify the dropping of the normal range and the FDA in the U.S. was complicit in allowing them to arbitrarily move the goal post without any documented studies. 

If you need more ammunition just google “Baycol lawsuit”.  It was a statin made by Bayer Pharmaceutical that killed hundreds of people worldwide before it was taken off the market. Guess what!  I took it for a week in 2001 and had what I thought was a heart attack at the time but survived it. Bayer had to pay over 1 billion dollars in a class action lawsuit!!!

If you are unfortunate enough to be taking or asked to take Crestor, I can forward you damming info on their bogus adulterated study which was stopped after 18 months of a scheduled 3 yr study as required by the FDA?!?     

• Posted

Thank you so much for posting this information hot roder.  Let's hope many many people read it and use common sense and listen to their own bodies rather than the half truths and hidden detail we currently get from our medical professionals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.