Does Carbimazole help racing heart or just propanalol?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid about October last year. I was given propanalol but after taking one I came out in a horrible itchy rash so stopped taking them. My GP then put me on 10mg of carbimazole which didn't do much to be honest. I went to the hospital a couple of week ago who upped the dose to 30mg.

The problem is that my heart is still racing, to the point that I can't sleep at night! And I am more tired now than I was before I started taking the tablets!

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't want to waste my GP's time if this is just cos I can't take the beta blockers but I work full time so am struggling to get through the day when I've only had a couple of hours sleep!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i was taking both the propanalol and carbimazole, but my doctor told me the propanalol was for the racing heart n the carbimazole was for the other symptoms. dont know whether this helps
  • Posted

Yes, it does help, thank you.

I thought the racing heart would stop once I was taking Carbimazole, but to be honest, I think it was made worse because I was anxious about it!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with over active thyroid about 3 weeks ago. I was imeadiately given Propranolol to stop me shaking and slow my heart down. I have come out in a rash but was already very itchy. I have been to the hospital this week and prescribed 40g of Carbimazole, which I have just taken 5 mins ago. I think if you are ithching you can take an antihisthamine without it affecting the carbimazole. You need to get a good nights sleep whether you work or not!
  • Posted

I am hyperthyroid and have been prescribed propronal alongside Carbimazole. Sometimes the fact you are hyper makes you FEEL like your heart is racing, when it isn't!!. I am down from 20 mgs carbimazole to 5mgs, after a year treatment to balance my condition. I find propronal 80mg slow release useful for those 'fast' moments but dont need them every day now. Feel better but have eye bags from going too far underactive whilst carbimazole drugs were first prescribed.

Can recommend slow release propranol. You will feel better but it takes time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.