Does celexa cause back pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good Moring I have back problems the doctors are still not sure what's going on. Its been almost 3 months. Today after I took my celexa I started shaking and soon after my back hurts really bad. I'm new to taking this medicine. Its day 10 for me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

It seems that all ssris including Celexa, affect the neuromuscular system where serotonin receptors are abundant.

Nerve and muscular pains have been reported as common side effects during taking the drug or withdrawing.

Usually pass within weeks or months.

I had leg and shoulder pains a few times, during on the drug and more severe during withdrawing, lasting a few weeks before subside.

Doctors from many specialities, had no explanation, and I had to search it by myself!

Take care.

• Posted

Hello, its almost certainly not the celexa causing your back pain. If your doctor cannot find a specific reason, then its almost certainly your anxiety thats causing it. If it started 3 months ago, you have likely been anxious for the whole time, probably before the bsck pain started. Anxiety causes incressed muscle tension. It does this to muscles we have concious control over, and those we dont. Its normally the muscles we dont have control over, eg head aches, chest ot stomach muscles. The tension seems to stay in one particular area, although it can be in different areas for different people. Sometimes it happens around old injuries, that flare up. Chances are, if it wasnt your back, it would occur somewhere else. As youve recently started an anti depressant, chances are your anxiety has gone up, and when it does, the localised muscle tension, or pain, flares up. Once your anxiety levels have dropped, the pain or tension should dissapear. When you have anxiety flare ups, the muscle tension or pain can come back. Ive had it happen lots of times over the years, and i know it will dissapear when im more relaxed. Try laying down on your floor, with your bum touching your chair or sofa, and drape your legs over the chair. Amazing back relief, as it relaxes tense back muscles, which then allows area to heal.
    • Posted

Ie, anxiety increases muscle tension, which can lead to pain etc .
  • Posted

How long have you had back pains ..?was it before celexa.. Because if it wasn't they are definitely side effects..

• Posted

I've had back pain almost 3 months. The doctors are trying to figure out what's going on. This is why I was pit on celexa. This back pain has caused me to have major anxiety. So I decided to start taking celexa. Hoping that m to get control of this awful feeling and get my life back. And hope to get some answers to what's causing my back pain.

• Posted

Anxiety brings on so many symptoms..once your doctor clears your test you will get a hold of your anxiety and celexa will help you with that..I know from my experience that celexa magnifies any anxiety's you got lurking in the background..but that will ease with time..it's exactly how Nigel explains it..

• Posted

Hey, i didn't experience any back pain. Maybe something else is going on. Don't stress xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.