Does chairi affect your immune system?

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hey guys

I had chairi about 7 years ago and after 5 year recovery I went back to work and education.

What I noticed over the year's is that I seem to get sick I.e cold, flu symptoms three times a year I reckon. I also work part time although I work 20 plus hours as a stock room assistant which requires me to lodt many things heavy and light.

I have had the flu jab sometime last year.

Anyway just wondered what you guys thought. Can chairi affect your immune system and does anyone have issued working in a psychiall environment. I am getting to a point where I am getting tired and body is losing strength.

I am monitoring this. It could be just work abutnd general sickness. There are things that point to chairi that I experience at the moment and have only just realised.

Thanks

Jon

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

there is no such thing as you HAD CHIARI . you will always have it .... adn yes it can affect your immune system
  • Posted

Hi Jon I'm 61and working part time, after having decompression surgery Aug 2014. Any movement of up and down can make me dizzy and heavy lifting makes the pressure in head throb. My consultant said to do things slowly. I have days when I feel totally off and others I'm better. There is no cure I was told and surgery prevents the symptoms getting worse. Look after yourself as much as you can x
    • Posted

Thanks for the comment guys

I say had chairi as a figure of speech. Don't know whether I should have put have chairi or had. I like to think had. Might not be fully true though.

Thinking about possibility seeing my NS for an appointment. Haven't seen one in years as signed off but to come back if there were any issues or concerns.

Little confused at the moment but help on here is helping a lot.

Jon

• Posted

Yes would see someone for advise as you may still have chiari, but you may have low immune system, hence the colds. You do sort of think is this to do with my chiari, when I had problems with my back it turned out I have bulging disc. Keep us posted .
  • Posted

Hey Jon

I can only tell you what I have experienced and as we all know with Chiari, we can all be different!

I had my op last May, I was told it takes 2 years to recover. This is inside & out!

Ever since my op, despite the initial nausea, I have gained weight, my metabolism seems to have ground to a halt!! I had terrible problems with my tummy, despite being on meds to protect my stomach lining, the pain meds perforated my stomach lining, this is now better.

My hormones have been haywire since my op, I have been told that the stress of the op on my body ( and additional private home life stresses) have messed up my body, causing altered levels of hormones, this has caused a polyp to grow on my uterus which I have to have removed next month, I also have sore skin & rashes!

my point, I guess, is that nobody knows how differently we will all recover. I didn't think for one moment that the rest of my body (not brain & neck) would suffer so much, so perhaps your bodies weakness is your immune system? There are many vitamins & mineral supplements that may help support your immune system. Antibiotics always disturb this, good bacteria is needed to replace the stress of antibiotics, if you have had any?

We need to remember the massive stress & trauma we have been through.

I am currently having osteopath treatment in hope of some gentle healing! Anything but more meds!!

Hope I have been of some help....

• Posted

Oh I can relate to all that hayley, I try to keep to herbal stuff if I can, magnesium oil and aloe Vera colon cleanse ect... As I have hiatus hernia, prolapse bladder as well as bulging disc, ect... And to take medication for all that on top of my chiari plays having with my body. Dupuytrens cartractur in my hand is the latest add on! But I work in a hospital just few hrs, for dementia and end of life, it makes me appreciate my ailments allow me to still have a life and keep smiling x
    • Posted

Bless you Helen, it is pretty rough, but we must remember so many are far worse off than us! I also have bulging discs, herniated etc, hurts so much now I am off my pain meds! Osteopath has helped but my head hurts again!

more wine for me lol....

will keep smiling too.....😃( don't want dark holes pulling us in!)

• Posted

I totally agree, I'm making most of it as you never know if condition will get worse. I think as well after talking to some whose conditions are far worse how fortunate I am, as you say keep smiling and positive thoughts, oh yes and a glass of wine haha
  • Posted

Hi jon,

To answer ur question about chiari affecting ur immune system, yes it does. Try to get the flu shot, (there r two kinds, get the one that is the strongest). Also try to stay away from sick people, I know it's hard to do but it'll help. All the physical activity u r doing is not helping. U need to get alot of rest. It doesn't matter how long ago u got surgery. Just because u r feeling better don't over do it. U still need to rest lots if rest.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies guys. They have helped a lot.

This great forum has answered a question that I never knew the answer too.

Thanks again everyone

Jon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.