Does Citalopram cause weight gain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Are there any other side effects?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Y. I have not noticed any weight gain but I do watch my weight. I appeared to have side effects when I first started shacking hands nausea, it's not too bad now, they do make you very tired. Hope this helps pat

• Posted

Hi Pat. Thanks for the reply. Has citalopram benefited you at all? How many mgs are you on?
    • Posted

Hi Y. I am on 20 but I don't take one ever day. Next week I am going to docs to ask if I can go on 10

I think my balance has improved but this will only show when

I am on hols, because this is where my balance is worse. I don't appear to be as anxious when

I am out and about. Will keep posting. Take care pat

• Posted

I'm not sure about weight gain. A little nausea, sweating and tiredness was what I experienced - only for about a week. Over the years I've been on numerous anti depressants - Citalopram has been a huge improvment for me. In terms of negative side effects I dont even know I'm taking - compared with Seroxat and other meds I've had it is far superior.

• Posted

It's good to hear you've had such a positive experience on Citalopram. I've been terrified of going on a SSRI and have refused every time my doctor suggested it, but I'm now desperate. How long have you been on it? Do you also think it'll be hard to come off it?

• Posted

Hi Yvonne

I started last September I think. My doctor - who is very good, has suggested that the there are very few long term side effects and that if it works there is no reason to stay on it - at least until you have tried other therapies. Whilst there is no magic happy pill and it is not an entire cure I have heard the birds singing for the first time in ten years, I have smelt the grass and I've seen some light. I have also stopped despising myself so much. Give it a try - if it doesnt help then stop taking.

Send you my best wishes.

Peter

• Posted

Hi for me it has been weight loss. 10 pounds in 4 weeks. That I really could not afford to loose. I have very little appetite. Impossible to eat in the morning so I try to eat as much as I can in the evening. My other side effects are dizziness, terrible morning anxiety, tinitus and basically feeling like I have the flu or a bad hangover. I will be 6 Weeks this coming Monday. The pharmaceutical companies say 2 weeks of side effects and that has not been my experience. Side effects have increased not decreased. I am hoping things will start to settle at the 8 week mark but who knows. The only positive for me is that I sleep well.

Good luck. You will find this forum to be a good source of honest feedback and information.

• Posted

Hi. I wouldn't mind the weight loss lol, that'd be a perk. 

It seems like it takes a long time for it to work, especially if you're having to put up with awful side effects. Has the citalopram improved your mood?

Would you say it's worth trying?

• Posted

It does feel like forever but I just try to take it a day at a time and trust that ultimately it will work. There are many positive stories on this forum supporting this. As far as mood I was never depressed but suffered (quite suddenly) from random panic attacks. I have a good doc and had many, many tests done and they could not figure out why. She recommended Citra because she has other patients on it with good results. I trust her and had to do something to stop these unprovoked panic attacks as they were driving my blood pressure and heart rate up to scary levels. So will see. I would suggest if you have a good doctor to trust the advise but don't be naive about the side effects, for me they are tough but some people have an easier time. Good Luck Shane

• Posted

Hi Yvonne

I think you'll feel the benefit in the a couple of weeks. The initial side efects weren't too bad for me and a friend sugested that I took mine before I went to bed - great advice. I slept through the worse of it and the side effects pass within a week or two.

Peter

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.