does citalopram really work??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, i have recently started citalopram as i cant cope anymore. My mind never turns off. I worry about everything like running out of milk or having washing to do. I cant go out places either. Every day is a struggle and i dont see it getting any better. I have 3 kids to look after on my own and i need to be normal. Ive had this for about 6 years years and its just getting worse and worse. I started on 10mg for a week and am now on day 4 of 20mg. I cant stop worrying about things and its making me panic, i cant say thats a side effect cuz i felt that way before. How can i get a job and look after my kids if i cant even do basic things. I just cant cope anymore and am loosing all my fight. Any advice would be a life savour

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Oh my dear,I really feel for you hunny.what is it that youve been diagnosed with? (i dont know what your medication is used for) have you heard of cbt? I'm waiting for it myself,and ive heard it does work,but as the same with medication it can depend on the person and how effective it is.hope ive helped xXx
    • Posted

Hi, its anxiety and depression that its precribed for. Yeah ive heard of cbt and im going get my doctor refer me. I also struggle to eat so my life is an absolute nightmare. I hate every minute. Hope your ok x
    • Posted

That's good,I hope it will work for you.I haven't had any expierience with the medication you're on as I was given sertraline,but i decided not to take it after the first one as I didn't like how it made me feel.that was like three months ago 😞 i know how much of a struggle it can be.keep well.
    • Posted

hi roxanne. generally speaking, it takes about 2- 3 weeks for citralopram to kick in. meantime try to keep your spirits up until it becomes effective. there's a 'modality' called 'Emotional Freedom Therapy' (EFT) that's excellent for dissipating anxiety and other negative emotions and intrusive thoughts. it's easy to learn and apply. google it or you may be able to find a practitioner in your area. hope this helps.

Caitlin

• Posted

Hey roxanne

I am currently on 20mg of citalopram a day. I lost my enthusiasm for anything and lost energy. I must admit nearly 2 months into the course it is improving my energy and mood though I still have moments of restlessness and irritation. I find it don't stress as easily. You just need to have support and understanding of those around you. My wife is brilliant. She reads the signs when I need space but most importantly I communicate with her about how I feel. Keep up with the medication. For the first 2 weeks I was useless but it does help. All ill say is take it the same time daily as I took it later one day and it messed my mood up. Especially in the early days try to keep a routine

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, im really hoping it does help. Glad your starting to feel better
  • Posted

Hello Roxanne, you sound exhausted and overwhelmed. How old are the children. About Citalopram i have been on them for a few months now and they have helped my anxiety. I also had panic attacks and they have gone now. It does take a few weeks to kick in thou. I have stayed on the lower dose of 10mg instead of the 20mg as i found too many side effects on the higher dose, but it depends on the individual. Have you a friend that come over for a coffee and keep you company, or give you a hand when the going gets tough as it would seem you need some adult company, this will give you a break from the normal routine and help you to unwind a little. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth.  

• Posted

Roxanne- i really feel for u at this challenging time. I think if u give the citalopram time to work (sometimes a few months) it will really help but in the meantime- start looking into non medicated ways like guided meditation/ hypnotherapy/ eft (emotional freedom technique)/ i have read a great book. Just a few ideas to help u out that have made my life alot easier! :-):-)

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.