Does citalopram really work for anxiety??

Posted , 6 users are following.

So 6 months in on 20mg and my anxiety is back in full swing!! It did ease a little but never really went and is now back! It's worse in the morning but eases late afternoon and evening. It affects my tummy and my appetite and I suck of keep struggling! Anyone else had same problems? X

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What time of day do u take it? I find evenings better for tummy and anxiety. Also you may need 30mg.
    • Posted

Hi Claire

I take it in the morning! I tried 30mg after id been on 20mg for 2 months but it gave me such heightened anxiety my doc put me back down to 20mg and slowly I recovered well but this weekend full of it again and feeling very flat! How long have you been on cit and what dose do you take? Xx

• Posted

Hey foxy whats your symptoms of anxiety because I'm un sure if mines disconection or anziety
    • Posted

Hi muza

Knotty tummy can't focus extremely anxious/ nervous sweaty breathless the list goes on! Xx

• Posted

I've been on 20mg for several years. Took mainly for depressive thoughts. Only had occasional anxiety moments. But big stres happen lately so increase to 30mg 3 wks ago. Also switched to try at night but was

Tired In day and morning anxiety worse. Switched back to night works better. It's not going to cure everything but helps tremendously. Try some meditation and breathing techniques too.

• Posted

Hi foxy poly, I'm almost at 6 months and I can't say for sure but don't think CIT cures you of anxiety I think it something we will always have. I was doing great for the last two weeks then for whatever reason last night a bout of anxiety. No sleep but up and about not feeling to bad. I take mine at night before bed works for me. Just had doctors appt.Wed went in feeling great then boom lol. He said CIT works differently on everyone time wise and degree of your symptoms. I'm sticking to it and riding out the storm ! Good luck
  • Posted

Dear Foxy Polly.

​Citalopram is a sticking plaster for the brain, it helps to heal. There is no magic fix, wonder cure or quick remedy for what we and many hundreds of thousands are suffering with, in these days of mental slavery being just one of the many unnatural causes that brings us here. Obviously, some of us have or are suffering from personal trauma or tradegy which, we have to understand may always be a part of our lives at one time or another.

​The world we live in is running out of control, unless we do something about it. Ghandi said "You must be the change you want to see in the world". Bearing that in mind I have as my part in my own recovery. I changed my lifestyle. I stopped smoking, drinking every day to get through from one to the next, became a piscartarian (a kind of non-conformist in the modern (food) sense), started to take up more exercise again - just walking to begin with. We (Ann, my Fiancee and I) decided to not have a TV or buy newspapers (especially as they're here in UK they are almost totally owned by one evil person (and who said James Bond stories aren't based on some kind of reality eh?!)). We do have internet access so we can watch iplayer (choose what we want to watch, if we actually feel we do want to) and catch up on news from as many free sources thus getting a better (and more truthful picture of the changing for the worse world we live in!). The BBC is still just free to make comment, but like all our rights, theres too are being limited every day. We listen to the radio for a few hours a day as music is a good lift in anyones life, but we switch off every hour once we have heard the news at least once.

I am signed fit to work again and looking for a part-time job to begin with, but on my terms the best I can. I have had a lifetime of public, private, military service and lately worked for a charity (part of the reason I came here in the first place), but I find it easier each day to talk about it. Ann wants to change jobs as she is still at that place where we met (my last job) and wants, like me, to be a part of something less stressful and happier while working for something that is ethical (big hope there!). I know it all sounds rosey etc., etc., however who said rosey ain't the best? Oh yes! The papers and we know who they are conrolled by?

​What was news to me was that I didn't know I had anxiety, until I took Cita and then found here that Cita causes or increases it to be able to treat it. I have accepted this and although, rarely now and again, I may feel a little bit of angst coming my way I side step it the best I can and just get on with things. You may say "okay for you being able to be positive!" Ann would say "yes, he's earned it, but you should have seen him 15 months ago, or 12, or 6 or just last week when he hit a low. I say thank goodness for the emergency duvet downstairs!

The reason we are here is due to the pressure and expectancy society puts on us. My youngest daughter who will be 13 years old in June has already hit the teenage thang and gladly (yes, I did mean that!) quite anti the pressures forced on young people, especially girls, by the advertisers. She is her own person and we have to accept her decisions, even though now and again there is a "told you so!" at the end of them. I do not want her to go through what we are.

​We have and are all going through some or all of the same issues that come with taking Cita however, it is worth it. I hope that you can adapt or change your lifestyle to aid your recovery, it is an important part of wherever we have all come from. Re appetite, eat what ever you fancy until you get it back and settle down to a good routine again. Then again it may be that you have to change what you are eating now as your body could be saying "no more of that, please?" without you knowing it.

It is difficult, but please try and understand the reason(s) that brought you here, accept the road to recovery and what it may bring and we'll all try and help you to keep moving forward to a better place. Not, back to your old self and the way things were because, that defeats the object. 

​We hope you can ignore these problems and have a good bank holiday (we must enjoy 'em while we can, they'll be the next thing on the governments list to be fazed out!).

Best Regards,

​David

• Posted

Thanks David it makes so much sense what you are saying! I try to live day at a time and not plan to much which was helping no end until I started thinking about holidays again which at the moment is my trigger! I'm seeing a therapist and we also got a dog in October as I love the walks with him and wanted to do more things as a family. My children are 14 and 11 which can also be quite challenging! Thanks again for your input xxx
  • Posted

Don't give up, POlly. It will work. You WILL get better again. I am praying for you.

Blessings

Kirk  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.