Does clobastel stop Fusing and white patches appearing?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi i have had LS for a few years and have been using clobastel. I was just wondering does the steroid cream stop the fusing and white patches? also is it ok to use for a prolonged time. I try and use it as little as i can. Probably apply it once every 3 to 4 weeks and it keeps the itching at bay. I was diagnosed quite early on so i never had any fusing or white patches appear.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessicat, I know the Clob definitely clears up the white patches for most women but I dont believe it entirely stops the fusing. If you use a bit of oil before sleeping I think that stops the skin adhering to areas  it shouldnt adhere to. Also I think serious fusing accelaterates only after menapause for some.

Like yourself I use the clob sparingly and only when I feel a twinge, so sometimes I will go months without using it, But using it monthly like you do is fine and not over use.  Some women use it weekly for maintenace and that is their choice, whereas others like myslef just use it as and when needed.

• Posted

I agree with this comment. My fusing was after menopause. Originally I was aware of fusing , had no idea what was going on and my doctor basically said nothing was amiss. Claptrap. And the menopause helps nothing.
    • Posted

i put on aquaphor liberally at bedtime - so are  you saying that will help control fusing?  i do it because it's soothing.

• Posted

Hi eileen, the idea behind using an oil before bed is so that there is then a barrier between your L Minora and your L Majora because that is when fusing is likely to occur.  From what I have gathered fusing is caused when the skin becomes sticky (that's LS sticky) and so if you have an oil placed between those areas it cannot stick.  If Aquaphor is a cream it will probably be absorbed and gone after an hour or so whereas an oil, like emu, almond or whatever should stay on throughout the night and prevent fusing. 

I will confess I used to use an oil every single night.  This last year I haven't bothered which may or may not be why I now have significant fusing...obviously I have gone back to using the oils again...I got a bit slack and thought it didnt matter for some reason.

• Posted

I’m 33 and my labia minora looks like it’s disappearing everyday sad I have a little freak out every time I look down. Just wondering if coconut oil is as effective? I’m trying to get hold of emu oil... Also, if I’m still needing to use the steroid ointment twice a day i.e. before bed as well since I’m only recently diagnosed, will the use of oil limit its effectiveness as I’d be using both at the same time then??
    • Posted

Hi L19455, what you could do is use the clob first thing in the morning and then early evening which gives it time to be absorbed before using some kind of oil before bed...I think you need to keep them separate. 

There are so many oils to use and the only rule is to rotate them as LS seems to prefer that.  You can use coconut oil, emu oil, olive oil, almond oil etc 

• Posted

I personally cant use the clob, it burns me and causes a rash. I use Aloe Vera gel 99% several times a day and at bedtime as a moisturiser
  • Posted

I am not sure of your age, I am 29 and my derm told me that mine was caught early enough that once I was done my initial treatment with clob to get it under control I could use the maintenance dose (1x per week) and in his experience this has worked to prevent fusion and atrophy. I told him how scared I was about everything, and he was very reassuring that in most cases he has seen and worked with the disease can be managed, esp when caught early on. He also told me not to worry about thinning of skin as LS causes a thickening so in the end, as long as you arent over using, it will keep things normal.

I do still use oils, and on my days off of clob I use aloe and baking soda. Right now everything is great, it took a few weeks but now it looks pretty normal. Unfortunately we are all so different that it is hard to say what will help.

As an aside he did say over use of clob can cause itching and redness/irritation. He did say its important to listen to your body. And not to apply more than a pea sized amount.

• Posted

I'm 22 and was diagnosed at 19, I was only having itching symptoms around 8 months before I was diagnosed. I haven't had any fusing or white patches so i'd say this was caught early?

I used to use coconut oil at night but it started irritating me and causing more itching than it helped with as I think I was using it too much

• Posted

It does for some people, did not work for me. Once every 3-4 weeks is safe! Using as little as you can is also wise. If you dont have fusing or white, dermatologists would tell you that steroid cream keeps them at bay. In my case, steroid cream only seemed to put the process on temporary hold, but fusing and white patches happened regardless. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.