Does Dark Chocolate Help?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I recently learned that Dr. Jose Montoya, a well-respected ME/CFS doctor at Stanford, prescribes dark chocolate as part of his regimen. Have any of you tried this? If so, have you noticed any results? I've tried 70% to 80% dark chocolate, and it does make me feel better, at least for a few hours. It elevates my mood, which you expect from chocolate (I'm not depressed, though), helps my neuropathy symptoms, and generally helps.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes tried it, I did 85% Lindt, still do, it may have helped, verdict still out 

i recovered, but did it via pacing 

• Posted

I hadn't heard about this. I love dark chocolate but have recently been trying to cut out sugar so had stopped eating it. I was also having it in the evening and thought, as it's a stimulant, it could be impacting my sleep.

I welcome an excuse to reintroduce it though! I'll try having it during the day. Is there any guidance as to how much is helpful?

• Posted

I don't know how much is recommended. If you eat chocolate that's in the high 70%, or 85%, as wknight did, the amount of sugar isn't that high (I don't think). 

• Posted

Hi Jackie,

There's someone here in the UK who says chocolate and raw foods have meant she can now live a more normal life.  if you Google "deliciously Ella" . I eat dark chocolate and tend to eat the higher percentage stuff. I can't eat milk products anyway and prefer the strong stuff. I find if it has a high sugar content  I have a sugar dip sadly.

Beverley

• Posted

The dark chocolate suggestion has been around a while now . I can't stand chocolate though.! Always gave me migraine. Haven't eaten it for many years. Even the smell I find repellant .

• Posted

There was one poor quality study which claimed to show dark chocolate was of some help. It's almost certainly nonsense, but there you go. If you like eating dark chocolate, it's got less sugar than milk chocolate so it's healthy in that sense, and doing anything that is nice is likely to help people feel a bit better.

• Posted

Dark chocolate is a mega source of magnesium, which is often recommended for cfs so that could be why it helps.  I enjoy it and can’t tolerate magnesium supplements so I intend to continue :-)
    • Posted

I can't tolerate oral magnesium. Awful stuff isn't it !

I had it by injection years ago. But it caused a lot if pain and problems in my legs. Felt like it was being injected into a nerve . Was dreadful .

• Posted

Yes you are right - I have had the 70%-80% dark chocolate -it does elevate my mood as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.