Does decompression surgery for Chiari relieve fatigue symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have the usual chiari symptoms, straining headache etc but my biggest problem is fatigue. The consultant says it's not related and surgery won't help but I'm convinced it's all part and parcel of it. Has anyone had fatigue prior to surgery and has it gone after surgery?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had surgery nearly two years ago, and I have found it not to be as bad, but! If you have a other issue ie cold flu virus then it dies take you longer to get over and the fatigue continues long after that, before you return to what is ‘normal’ 
  • Posted

Hi jaki76

Can't talk for others, I was diagnosed with CM1 early in 2017, after experiencing occipital headaches, a lot of fatigue and cognitive & memory problems.

Had decompression surgery in August.

Regret that for me still have headaches, fatigue, memory & cognitive issues.

I feel wee bit stronger, but it's marginal.

Feel I have regressed from smart motivated person who slept for 5 hrs a night to a sloth who needs 8 hours and is constantly tired with very compromised career prospects (been there nearly 23 years).

That is my experience so far..

All the best

• Posted

So sorry to hear this, I agree headaches have returned plus the heavy head and balance, my fatigues is not as bad, but do have to agree need 8 hours plus a night and input my memory problems down to going through The menopause, but who knows, I thought all my other symptoms where down to just being a women with hormone problems because that is what I was told. I try to be as positive as possible because the other is just toooo depressing. I hope something dies change for you.

• Posted

Hi Stable, can't help noticing your post, try to take it slowly and also changing your lifestyle if you could slowly, I was like that after surgery ..I try to take magnesium and multi vitamin from a proper health shop after 3 weeks and drink plenty of fluid..it seems (for me) slowly all the headache, stiffness disappear..but of course every one different, did you go back to work immediately after surgery (2 months after) caused my surgeon told me that lots women go back to soon to work..and start cleaning the house looking  after the fam..etc..in the end their symptom keep coming back..this surgery is quite invasive..and traumatic..people should take it gently but here you are, I never back to work after 5 months..but every one is different , now I am drug & pain free...I am sure you can too, have you ever try Tai Chi - Chi Gong or yoga.its help a lot for me..reflexology or massage also will add that relaxing of the nerve..or do you go back to your health care professional?

• Posted

Hi b2wc97455

Thank you for response.

I was out of office completely for 3 months. Key activity was walking, with my two dogs, both morning and evening. Built up from around 300 metres in week back from hospital and now up to many miles, but inevitably very tired and sedentary the next day.

Had taken up yoga pre-op, but not able to return at this stage as any stress position or putting head below shoulders prompts a very quick negative sensation in my head.

Am drug free, and especially happy to be off the tramadol. Effective for a while, but it was always an early target to get off the options!

I really have been "taking it easy" & "listen to your body", and have found progress at best glacial.

Very hard to keep the job (only income provider in the family) when output is now compromised compared to old days. Clearly I'm frustrated that can't rationalise the situation fully.

Neuro butcher said MRI from last week shows CSF flowing as designed, herniation removed, so referred back to a neurologist.

Obvious reading above I am still pushing to get back to old health, and haven't fully accepted the new situation as the norm.

C'est la view.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear things aren't much better. Hopefully things will improve for you.

• Posted

Dear  Stable,  you know despite my pain and drug free,I know my limitation..I am not  the same AS I used to be ...its ;;irreversible defect condition..so I HAVE TO ACCEPT my condition now...because I donot like to go back to that situation... 
  • Posted

Hi Jaki, its surprising me to read about your post, your consultant said that surgery won't help??, either he is ignnorant or has not got a clue about chiari..that is just tiny bit a part of the symptom of chiari..sooner or later (each person differet0 through reading from lots of website and people experiences patients sufering from chiari (if they have symptom) will get worse..so if you can - try to get 2nd opinion and be assertive to them..get them sort it as soon as possible..heavy - stiffness, unable to move that fast then pain..,,but I hope you are not like me.

But after surgery all of that symptoms gone.. I have my quality of Life back.....

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I have had symptoms for four years now which have steadily gotten worse but I think because the fatigue is the worst of all they feel I can live with the others but I'm thinking surgery can only help the other symptoms and as I'm convinced it's related hope the fatigue goes too.

• Posted

What about  changing your lifestyle I know its subjective but no harm in tyring,drink plenty of fluids, multi vitamins, magnesium,a bit of walking then of course eating healthy...and see what happen..or you can be also suffer fromFibromyalgia?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.