Does everyone get side effects from MXT?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I will be taking my first dose of MTX this week for my RA after putting it off for half a year.  Reading through the discussions on the forum I am getting the impression that everyone gets unpleasant side effects of some sort. Does anyone know if there are people who have not had nasty side effects? Is there hope?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Judith,

I have been taking oral weekly doses of Methtrexate for more than 12 years for my RA cum Psriasis as per advise of my physician. I have not encountered any major problems whatsoever. I have a slight increase in my waistline over the years. But I exercise everyday and there is no weight addition experienced either. Think of the benefits rather than minor problems should they occur in your case. In proper doses as may be advised by the physician you may have good results.

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking MTX for over a couple of years and, compared to Sulafalside, I have also had no real side effects-apart from maybe weight gain -but that is just as likely due to life style!
    • Posted

Hi krishnaji41.  So good to hear that there are other people out there without side effects.  I too found that excerising helps a lot.  Keep the hinges (joints) moving.  I have been on MTX for 4 weeks now and, fingers crossed, have noticed no side effects.  Lets hope this will continue.
  • Posted

i have been takin methotrexate 2 months now for psoriatic arthritis, 8 tabs a week. so far some relief and no side effects! good luck!
    • Posted

i was also takin otezla but keep stoppin due to constant headaches!
    • Posted

Hi Dan,  good to hear that MTX works for you.  I have been on MXT for a months not and I have had no side effects so far.  Lets hope this will contiune.  Best of luck to you too on your journey.
  • Posted

I'm having sides. Nausea, diarrhea, brain fog. I also have more pain in my ankles, feet and hands! My doc just went up on dose, today is day four of the side effects!!! I have lost some weight, but would not recommend as a weight loss program! I've only been on methotrexate for a month. I hope sides get less and less.

• Posted

Hi I can only speak for myself, I have been back on methotrexate since the beginning of September and I believe the side effects for me personally have subsided, I take a 5mg of folic acid once a day for six days a week, maybe it's this that has helped, but thank goodness I have had no pain since having a steroid injection when starting back on this medication I just hope and pray this continues

• Posted

Hi Villie.  I am really sorry to hear about your troubles with MXT.  I started on MXT 4 weeks ago and have been fine so far.  Someone on the forum suggested to take the pills before going to bed with lots of water.  That is what I do.  Whether of not this is the reason for not getting side effects I can't tell.  I am not adventurous enough to put that to the test.  I also excersise regularly, eat well (paleo/AIP diet - when ever possible and loving it).  I think I may have started to feel some releave from RA.  Lets hope it all keeps going well.  I have also heard from various people that side effects can fade over time...  I really hope your symptoms will fade too.  I wish you the best of luck.

• Posted

I.  Have been on a low dose 10 mg a week of mtx and have had no discernible side effects. I had to stop taking sulafalaside as I reacted badly and ended up in hospital with sepsis due my immune system crashing. 

With MXT I have been fine and I have been taking it 2 years

john

• Posted

Hi John.  It is good to hear that not everyone gets side effects from MTX. I was warned by various people about it before I started.  I started on MTX 4 weeks ago and so far I have been fine - no side effects.  I also take 1 folic acid pill per week and am still on Salfasalasine as well (2x2 pills per day).  It is still early days for me and MTX.  the 12.5mg / week is still considered a low dose which may or may not need to be increased.  Lets hope not.  At the moment my MTX/sulfasalasine/folic acid seems to be ok.  I hope you will recover well and properly from your sepsis which was caused by salfasalasine.  These medications really seem to be affecting everyone differently.  Best of luck for your journey.
  • Posted

I should add I take folic acid tablets 6 nights a week and have psoriatic arthritis, I also have monthly blood tests. My joints still fella bit achy at times but generally I am fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.