Does everyones HS smell bad?!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all, 

I'm not being offensive, I have HS. I've just been reading back through the various threads and lots of people mention the smell. I can honestly say I have never smelt anything when one of the volcanoes has popped - never. I'm now concerned that my sense of smell has gone too lol! I feel like I'm falling apart. If any of you read this would you mind replying, with a simple yes it does or no it doesnt,  if you like! Just so that I know. I would be mortified to think that I've been walking around smelling and had absolutely not idea. I hate HS, I really hate it. 

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey,

Mine doesn't. The only thing I could comment on smell is that if one has popped and it's been puss and no blood possibly ever so slightly cheesy. What's everyone else think there's smells like? Maybe my senses have gone too or everyone might just be different x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, I have suffered with HS for 35 years and I have had some burst with the most horrendous smell and some with no smell. I think it depends on the depth of the cyst and how long it's been active. The deeper it is the worse the infection. A lot of mine have been very deep and tunnelled. It's the most horrendous disease with no apparent cure.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Depends how bad the disease has progressed. I suspect dairy may play a role. A nightshade elimination diet will help with the symptoms. Possibly even put you into remission like me.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I don't think my lesions, per se, have a smell, but when I change dressings, they have a horrible smell.  I've never noticed any particular smell when a cyst opens up and begins draining.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Edited

Rachel,

The only time I have ever noticed an odor is when the infection is really deep and has lasted for a prolonged period of time. It smells kind of like the puss you get out of an earring hole or the "cheesy" crud that comes out of a bellybutton. Sometimes a little more pungent. However, most of the time there is no odor at all. Just pussy bloody yuck. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you everyone! You've put my mind at rest, I am so relieved! Like I said, it was the thought of smelling and not realising, I once had to tell a girl (out of kindness as everyone was talking about her in the office) and it was awful. Poor thing had no idea. Thanks guys!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have stage 3, and when the long term interconnected lessons drain they tend to.

The ones that come up and pop in a few days to a week don't seem too.

Think it's different for everyone.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up