Does excessive fluid intake reduce the effectiveness of Prednisone ?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I’m sure this has been discussed before, but I can’t find it.

I believe Prednisone has a fairly short lifespan in the body - half-life of around 3 to 4 hours.

My question is - if the drug is being absorbed by the system during that period, does drinking large quantities of water, coffee, etc. have any effect on the quantity of pred that is absorbed versus the amount that is “flushed” out ?

I drink a load of coffee and water in the morning and throughout the day (no alcohol ‘cos I take methotrexate !) and living in a warm to hot climate (Southern California), drink water all the time when outside working or walking so as not to dehydrate.

Any medical news on this topic ?

Thanks, Dave

0 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Arden

nice to hear from someone my neck of the woods. Raised my kids outside of Orillia but now have a home in Port Union and Georgian Bay.

were are you located? Many of us Canadians are in contact with each other send me a personal message and I'll gibe you my email adresss.

mariane

• Posted

well the weeks is almost over was able to ride from the 15 th to the 19th a little over 165 k. Found my limit yesterday push south into the wind did not go as far as expected developed bad cramps in my quads. I have always bring Calium and mag vitamins with me but that didn't work i was gad the wind was ther to push me home. Have you ever had leg cramps will swimming. It also seem that I am more tolerant of cold. The body is really upset with brain today more fog than normal also had and legs jittery going to knock off another 5 mg on Monday have a good weekend
    • Posted

Hi Adrian

Funny you ask about leg cramps. The last 2 days I've been doing much better in my laps, I've actually see a great improvement in my shoulder roration in the front crawl however I've got more leg cramps than before but I'm pushing myself.

I'm on a reduction from 20mg to 17.5 but tapering over 7 weeks not a just stop. Be careful. One of our pmr Canadian was tokd to refuce 5mg instantly and went into a flare that has caused GCA and up to 50mg from 20

Please be careful.

• Posted

I have had leg cramps while swimming which panicked me a bit.  My doctor gave me quinine sulphate.
    • Posted

I am going to decrease from 45 to 40 on monday for a week and 5mg again after that. I had no problems except for things that I caused strained muscle etc. I will be seeing my Doc on Thursday and I beleive that he is ging to have me hoove at 30 for some time but I would like to continue down to 20 and see how that feels. As I mention earlier the only symtoms I have is form the preds.
    • Posted

Trust me when i say i could feel the difference between 20 and 17.5 in tapering. I would not be able to just change the dose without a gradual tapper.

I have heard it is easier to just drop at your level and I'm sure Eileen can give advise but think about evan a faster taper at your level vs cold turkey to a neww dose. Maybe try 2 new roses one week, 4 new the next etc.

I just worry about you. As for cramps no biggy we get these as divers and just grab our fins and pull and stretch. It's all in one motion you barlwu know wre stop. I can feel it start and even change my kick that can stretch it out.

As a diver you teally have to have your head about you in water because crap can happen that can cause your life and it has happened to my husband and i. We were 80 ft down and his weight belt fell which means you can pop like a cork and go into the bendse and even death. Thats why a dive buddy which was me. I dumpped my air to sink and grab him to slow his accent.

Leg cramps with fins has more to do with exertion on the muscles than lack of minerals etc.

I'm ramling sorry. Take care. Mariane

• Posted

Yes I am very aware of the side effects I have worked with the pharmaceutical industry for the last thirty five years. I have just read a fantastic book about the history of quinine called the Miraculous Fever Tree. Recommended by a university friend. A really fascinating read. 
    • Posted

Yes - I've translated many reports/study documentation in clinical trials by Big Pharma in the last 30-odd years which actually brings more to light than the data sheets available to the public ever mention. You hear it straight from the doctor in focus groups believe me.

Belive me Ardern - you wouldn't take ANYTHING if you knew about the side effects and assumed everyone will experience them. Side effects or not - mostly the disease remains worse than the medication.  

• Posted

I can appreciate what you are saying, Eileen. I learned about some clinical trials, drug side effects etc through my work and that is partly why I avoided every medication going until now. It sounds like you had even more access and enlightenment than I did. I can count on one hand the number of antibiotics I have had in my life. I've been fortunate or obstinate as my family would say. I would have preferred to have taken nothing for PMR but that was not an option! Like everyone on here I have to accept it for some quality of life and some have it much worse than me. I admire how they manage.
    • Posted

Was fascinated to read the other day about Phossy Mouth - the disease girls making matches in factories would get because they absorbed big quantities of phosphorus through their work and from the workplace environment.  Their jaws would rot.  And this is the daddy of meds with names that sound not unlike phosphorus.  The bisphosphonates.  Frankly, I'd rather shrink into a little old lady and keep my bones, even if they are thinning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.