Does exercise help with anxiety and panic attacks?

Posted , 5 users are following.

iv been to the gym this morning for the first time in about 5 months as I heard it can help reduce symptoms of anxiety. Although i know its my first time in a while, I started to feel panicky and almost had a panic attack. If I start to go regularly will this stop? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it will stop. Take 2 or 5 mg Diazepam+propranolol 10mg...before you go. Give an about 40 minutes before you stary your exercises. But first consult your doctor...always. As you train slowly...do not do too quickly what ever you fancy doing.Pause long enough to catctch your breath...and gradually you`ll be alright especially you make friends there at the same time,as talking divert your attention from your depressing thoughts.
  • Posted

I don't know tbh, I've not been one for excersising down the years, but have been diagnosed with depression and get panic attacks and anxiety, I've started walking to town and around, and find it helps, don't know if this is helpful, but thought I'd say.
  • Posted

yes this happens to me at first because some of the symptoms like rapid heart beat that come with excersising can trigger that thought in your head that it is the same symptom of anxiety and panic attacks and make you get one. I usually try to do my contolled breathing and remind myself it is the excersion of working out and to realize its  a good thing and then it gets easier with time.
  • Posted

Excercise can cause rapid heartbeat and mimic panic and anxiety
    • Posted

Yes...it  does at times, especially if your tummy is too full.!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.