Does fluconazole cause gas...?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Pretty upset at present as for past month have been watching what i eat due to food intolerance, even keeping an in-depth food diary.  Virtually ruling out everything allowed me to have a life without constant gas.  I suspect fructose.  On Sunday evening i started with thrush (vaginal), which i haven't had for years.  However, the cause is obvious as i'm in a new relationship and had lots of sex.  I took the one off oral fluconazole pill at lunch time on Monday (yesterday) and it has helped a lot.  It took a day, like it says on the info guidance, but now it is in my system i'm immediately starting with really bad wind that is making me feel nauseous.  The leaflet states that it can upset the stomach but does that include causing very bad wind?  I have read that it can kill candida in the gut and that this process creates gas.  Anyway, i just want to know if this is a symptom of the oral fluconazole tablet as if it is not then it may be a food intolerance - but that will drive me insane as i was doing really well and i haven't eaten anything that i've not before had and been completely fine with.  It seems too much of a coincidence that this would start right when i take this tablet.  The medication advice states that the chances of excessive wind as a side effect is uncommon (1 out of every 100 to 1000 people).

If there anyone who can more explicitly explain that the gas is caused by fluconazole ... or is it likely to be that i've become intolerant to another food that last week i was okay with. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Like you say, it is most likely the fluconazole, especially as you clearly have a sensitive digestive system. I wouldn’t worry about a new food intolerance unless it lasts a few days. My fluconazole tablets contain lactose. Are you allergic to lactose or have a severe lactose intolerance
    • Posted

Hi there, thanks so much for your reply. Definitely not sensitive to lactose, everything so far is pointing to fructose malabsorption. The wind stopped as quickly as it appeared. It us said to be in your system for 72 hours and this is completely consistent with the duration of the gas. It's such a concentrated little pill that we forget what impact it has on the system. I'm still battling with the food intolerance, which is ruling my life at present. I'm waiting for my health insurance (I choose to pay in UK) and I'm going for testing and to see a dietitian. Whatever I learn I'll bring back to this forum to try and help others. There are so many siebtific types of sugars let alone other ingredients all that have a different effect when present with other food molecules that you really do need the help of a dietitian to stop you going insane hahaha.... Thanks again smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.