Does Gabapentin cause hallucinations and sleep walking?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have LBP along with nerve pain from herniated discs. I have been prescribed Gabapentin for the nerve pain. Which I can't tell if its helping at all because the pain level has not improved. Recently I have been waking up in strange places ie, my pantry, my living room, outside my home, etc. I don't know how I'm getting there. In addition, I have terrible mood swings, still outrageous pain. Help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know about sleep walking, but "delusions" is listed as a common short term side effect.

As regards continuing pain, what dose are you on? 3600mg per day is generally considered the maximum therapeutic dose. If it is low, maybe the dose needs to be reassessed.

In any case, I think you need to see your GP again regarding the side effects and the dose.

• Posted

seeing your gp is a good idea, almost sounds like your taking a sleeping pill. gab does take awhile to work. I have kicked my dose up and think I'm improving, seems to be a strange drug. have been taking about 4 months, have really seen know side effects. Steve
  • Posted

I will be seeing my Neurologist tomorrow.  In the meantime I have stopped taking the Gabapentin.  I had been taking 900 mg...300mg 3 X D. I am not taking any sleeping pills but do take a number of other meds and this might be a negative drug interaction.  Thank You for your replies. I hope to get to the bottom of the "epidsodes" soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.