Does gas give you heart pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having more and more episodes of gas related heart pain, the palpitations are driving me nuts and I am sure it is gas as I can feel it gurgling around the chest area. As I type my stomach is going nuts and the popping and stabbing pain in left side to middle of chest is awful.  I feel it move if I burp. I know people always say about the vagus nerve but apart from changing you eating habits you cannot control this nerve.  I have tried changing food etc. but it always come back.  I do have GERD and IBS, but this pain in chest after food is relatively new.  Also my gas s nearly always in the chest area rather than down below.  Any one else with this, I do take wind setlers and buscopan and esomeprazole, but it just returns and I don't understand what is causing it.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry you are experiencing this discomfort. I also have the same bubbles, pain in my chest, and lots of burping. I also gets sharp pains and a tight twitching in my chest. I have a hiatal hernia that slides up and down, gastritis, and esphagial spasm. I feel like my food gets stuck in my chest and the gas causes a lot of pressure. I was told by a 2 doctors that the pain feels a lot like a heart attack. So my suggestion to you would be to get to your doctor and make sure it is your stomach just to be safe but also maybe they can check you for a hiatal hernia or give you more effective medication. The one thing that keeps my pain and discomfort tolerable is gaviscon. It does a nice job of coating everything and stopping the acid. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Jessica, I recently had a CT scan of abdomen showed nothing wrong, I just have to accept it is gas and no I know that it is not just me I feel a bit better as I was getting a bit concerned about a heart attack.  I have brought some me some new gaviscon today.  Take care
  • Posted

Yes even though I know it's my stomach everytime I have a bad flare up I still get a little worries about my heart because it feels so bad. Slowly learning how to deal with it. Eating very small meals helps a lot too. I really hope the ga is con is helping you.

• Posted

Yes, mine is always worse after a big meal, it is so hard living with all the pains as I am never certain it isn't a heart attack.  Having to learn to live with it and make changes to diet etc. Take care

• Posted

Yes it is very difficult dealing with this. It's always a little comforting to know your not crazy when someone else is experiencing the same thing. I also have seizures so my stomach problems stir up a lot of other issues. Well good luck. If you find a magical relief let me know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.