Does Geographic Location Affect Bronchiectsis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

Long story short, I had a bad case of Bronchiectasis a few years ago. It was the worst time of my life, basically 3 months of sleeping maybe 2 to 4 hours each day.

Anyway, now I'm very nervous about going through that again whenever I get a chest cold and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever relocated or looked into relocating based on this condition. Are arid locations good for avoiding this type of respiratory problem?

By the way, I've read some of the posts in the Bronchiectasis section of this forum. I sympathize with you folks. I hope you find relief.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

For me (Brochectasis is one of my lung problems) dry hot weather is a killer, so is damp, temperate and sunny with preferably no wind is ideal. I think a flare up is possible anywhere actually, for some unknown reason May is the time for me to have severe flare ups, I am thinking allergy to something.

• Posted

may was also my worst time for flareups. I had a load of alergy tests and tested positive for grass pollen. I now take hayfever medication throughout the summer and much improved.

• Posted

I hope you have a good Pulmonologist and you should go for checkups regularly and when you feel the first sign of feeling sick go to your Pulmonologist to get medication, I have Bronchiectasis and didn't go to the Doctor and the Bronchiectasis damaged my airway and I couldn't cough up mucus and my mucus stayed in my airway and Pseudomonas is in the air and soil and water and some how I cane in contact with Pseudomonas and it got in my airway and in the mucus and the Pseudomonas spread to my lungs and once Pseudomonas gets in your lungs you can never completely get rid of it and you have to forever stay on medication so you don't die because Pseudomonas in your lungs is very deadly, so I suggest to you to have a good Pulmonologist and go for regular checkups and the very first sign of you feeling bad to go see your Pulmonologist.

• Posted

i have been on IVIG monthly that has solved getting lung infections- however, the lung pain, fatigue, cough and occasional trouble breathing continues.

• Posted

Location affects many of us, but not all the same way. I do better when i go home & stay out on the Gulf of Mexico, with high humidity and pretty much zero allergens. The wind blows at 20-40mph incessantly, except when it blows from 45-130mph (gale to hurricane). I hate the wind but w/o allergens, it only bothers my lungs if it's very cold -- doesn't happen much. Except for the allergens part, others here are just the opposite.

I love the Arizona desert mountains but my lungs, not so much. Decades before i had lung disease i could barely breathe in Las Vegas in winter -- some of the worst air in the US, we now know. My pulmo wants all his BX patients to move to Colorado. No way can i do that, with all houses having fireplaces and at least 1/4th entirely dependent on wood-burning stoves. Other BXers do great there.

You have to figure out what's best for you. My BX is a daily battle with many many hours spent deploying 2 kinds of lung machines just to get the gunk up and to have some longer stretches when i'm not coughing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.