Does h2Blockers has rebound hyper acid secretion like PPI

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi,

i having decided to swicth my ppi with h2blocker so i want to know does it has the same kind of rebound hyper acid secretion like ppi has.

Why i want to swicth..

i was prescribed pantoprazole 40 mg for mild acidity , i dont have GERD or hernia . out of extreme stress i was getting acid & i was so dumb that i went doctor out of fear. from thats where my misery started . doc gave me pantoprazole 40mg which i took for first month its like wow what a med it my acid problem gone. after then when i tried to stop the med i got horrible acid rebound i thoght i have something else went doc he asked for an endoscopy which showed nothing. and at that time i did not know about that the rebound is caused by the med itself so itook it again .& its been 1.5 years i am taking the ppi

3 months ago i had another endoscopy which showes mild erosion in fundus(mild gastritis). now i dont understand how the hell that happend. i am ppi for so long.

now even on ppi i get epigastric area burning. Can somebody tell is it stomach or esophagus. i fear its  esophagus. if it is then it can cause barrets.

i never get heartburn though (chest area).

so as its just reducing the hyperacidity (sour water erruction) and doing nothing else i want to quit the med.i told my GP too he said take Zantac . but i am worried it might cause some damage  and also hoping that the rebound will go away & i can be normal again.

pls help

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, h2 blockers can cause both dependency and acid rebound especially at high doses. I have to take 900mg - 1200mg ranitadine to get any relief now, but I do have a small sliding hernia and inflamed esophagus (think that happened cause I reduced my dose of ranatadine too quick).

As for gastritis, like you I had this for several months. Not sure how I got read of it as I still had small amount of caffeine and a few cigarettes each day. Maybe the zinc carnosine and carafate I took every day done the trick.

Also, like you I rarely get chest heartburn, just throat acid. But then I've got a hernia so possibly explainable. It's it not possible they've missed a small hernia on your latest endoscopy? My GP told me this happens often on an Endoscopy where a hernia exists but the endoscopy doesn't pick it up. Have you tried things like domperidone /metoclopramide/resolor etc? They may help more than acid blockers.

• Posted

hi chris,

i dont think they missed the hernia as i had endoscopy twice . they might miss it once but twice its hardly possible. i do take dompiriodine with pantoprazole 40mg. 

i am desperate to get off from ppi but my acid is so intense that it will definitely do some damage if i do so.

• Posted

Is dompirionr a safe drug to take Im sure I read  some we're it wasn't 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.