Does having an ovarian cyst affect your bowels? Please help!!!

Posted , 41 users are following.

Hi everyone!

Since having my first ovarian cyst my bowels have been all over the place. Is this normal. I never know what my bowel movements are going to be like from one day to the next.

When I spoke to my gynae he said that it shouldnt affect my bowels but these changes only started at time I had this cyst.

I also have abdominal pain around and below my tummy button as if someone is poking inside in it. Does anyone else experience this?. 

I havent listed all my symptoms but they are so scary and uncomfortable. Having a blood test tomorrow morning to check my ca-125. Petrified!

If anyone has any problems with their bowels please do share as feel as though I'm on my own with it all. Thank you x

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I went to the doctor because I had relly bad diarrhea and after a cat scan, I was told that I have a 5 centimeter large ovarian cyste.
  • Posted

Susie and others,

One more contribution. I had been constipated my entire life, also severe menstral cramps. But after my daughter was born both went away, YAY!! For the first time I could get out of the bathroom in less than 3 minutes. Ah normal! Sorry for the TMI.

Fast forward 20+ years. Successful dieting, losing weight but constipation is back with a vengence. From fine to ridiculous over the span of 6 months. Days with only one pea sized stool, laxatives did not help. Pushed so hard I felt like I was turning inside out. Bloating out of this world, looked 6 months pregnant! Drs. dismiss, eat more fiber, blah, blah, blah. Go for annual gyn visit. He thinks I have ovarian cancer. Vaginal ultrasound was awful. All that fluid plus pushing to find ovaries, ugh. Plus she couldn't find my bladder. Pushed way over to the left side! No wonder I had to pee every half hour. CA 125 was super high but surgeon said not to worry.

Long story short, not cancer. Huge endometrial cysts on both sides. One each side the size of kiddie soccer balls, additional ones the size of tennis balls. Tons of endometrial tissue strangling colon, intestines, uterus and artery to kidney which I almost lost but good now. (For years I had a tearing burning pain whenever jarring my body such as carnival rides, raquetball, etc.) Surgeon finally identified cause with presurgical MRI, saved my kidney, whew! Surgeon could not save girl parts but totally understood my sadness. Very compassionate!! Even though I am middle aged. He did a fantastic job!!! Recovery smooth although slower than I liked. I've always healed slow but well. Within two weeks plumbing returned to normal, ahhhh. I know TMI. Also 10 lbs. lighter day after surgery.

Sudden menopause not fun and more extreme because it wasn't gradual. Had the entire checklist of symptoms and all but the hot flashes resolved within 6 months. Still have a couple of tender spots on my incision, but I can deal with that. Surgeon was an artist with closing technique. Actually happy with a perfect hairline scar that even Drs. overlook. :-)

So in closing, after spending 2 weeks dealing with a cancer diagnosis, prior to meeting the Surgeon and his 98% confidence I didn't have it the rest was fear taking hold. Hind sight, surgery was necessary but I should've relaxed. Worried for nothing. After one week in hospital, recovery improved once I got home. Small walks everyday and naps when needed, best things I did. Except for difficulty sleeping because I'm a tummy sleeper...... first time my type personality let me relax.

Hope this is helpful. Try not to freak out. Entertain yourself with things that calm you. Good books, funny movies, friends, hobbies.

My prayers are with you and hope your issues are resolved quickly!!

• Posted

Hi ladies i am so glad I stumbled upon this discussion. I have been so worried. Pain in lower right abdomen 2 years now. Went to ER because pain was so bad once. They gave me a pap said they THINK i have an Std. I said im not sexualy active at the time. He insist pain was from std trich. Gave me prescription. Got ER lab and pap results next day all is Negative. Complaints of indigestion. High CA 125 results. Lower back pain and Constipation which has now become instant diarrhea right after i eat. And a persistent cough that wont go away. I went to my doc insist she take my complaints to the next level stop giving me indigestion prescription and writing me off. She looks over my file leaves room comes back with worried look orders up CT scan. (The hospital and docs office tied into same network, able to review All history) CT scan shows 2 Cysts on right ovary 5.7 and 4.7. And patchy bisalar airspace disease in lungs. Showed up on CT scan as well. explians the constant coughing. You do have to be persistent when it comes to your health. Now doc has me scheduled for the MRI. which i do in the morning. I have been so worried all symptoms seemed to point to the worst. You all have made me worry less thanks for sharing your stories
    • Posted

Yes you do! I suffered from constipation since I was a child. At puberty my body started to clean out a day or two before my period. Ah relief. But I had horrible menstral cramps.

After my daughter was born I finally learned what normal elimination (no effort was like) :-) All menstral cramping gone!

Fast fwd 20+ years later and post surgery endometriosis was again causing SEVERE constipation. Adhesions on colon made it almost impossible. Rectal bleeding 2 days before period, endometriosis inside colon.

The constipation was so bad no laxatives worked but once in a while diarrhea would thankfully (tho painfully) clean me out. Endometriosis is often elusive because symptoms mimic other abdominal issues. Even gynecologists usually don't go there first because invasive procedure is required to confirm.

I've read Drs. now suspect we are born with endometriosis and it activates during puberty. If true we assume it's normal to suffer and only when it becomes severe do we seek help.

Ladies, we must fight for our health and to preserve fertility if you're young. I had one child and was peri-menopausal when I was diagnosed. But I had endometrial symptoms of tearing sensation and shooting pain for over 20 years. It affects each woman differently and is hard to diagnose. It contributes to cyst growth depending on growth on ovaries. It causes hormone fluctuations which exacerbate the symptoms. So ask your Drs. about it if your symptoms don't resolve. Oft times laproscopic surgery is all that is required. Life after surgery is much more comfortable. :-)

• Posted

Hi Susie,

I know it's been a long time since you posted this but I just saw this and thought it would be helpful for anyone else reading it now as well.

I too had crazy bowel problems ever since they found the cyst in my ovary. I had laparoscopic cystectomy 7 weeks ago and I have to tell you what a hue relief it has been. After about 2 weeks I noticed that I started to have regular bowel movements again. I used to be constipated for about 4-5 days sometimes and now I'm regular and I noticed that I feel less bloated too smile

• Posted

Hi Susie I have Seeds in my left ovary I had 2 tubes removed and my right ovary and uterst (or what ever its called) and I have the same thing like you that poking sometimes diarrhea and pain on my thighs I just wanted to know what food is good for it and what can cure it

Looking forward for relpy

Thanks.

Zee

• Posted

I'm having the same problems and I've read it does affect the bowels depending where it's located, I gotten any help for mines since I have no insurance so that's I know hope you feel better.

• Posted

My symptons started with pain in my left hand side by my urethra , I ignore it for nearly 2 weeks then the doctor told me I had a uti. Sadly the doctor tor gave me Trimethoprim which after 4 tablets had to stop due to a severe allergic reaction. Got rid of the uti but symptons stayed so docs sent me for a ct which the results came last week. I have a 4cm ovary and it's causing so many problems. My period was late and I have pain in your bladder and I'm severely constipated. I think my gynaecologist with remove it as I have no fallopian tube to a rupture and that my pelvis never grew during puberty so all content section births.

• Posted

Hi Suzie. My first cyst in summer was pea size so nothing was done , my doctor (male) said just leave it few months and it will go on its on. I didnt have much symptoms apparent from dull ache in corner and my cycle was all over the place. Fast forward to now and i have another one thats big and small one on other side. And yes it as made me constipated, nausea, headache, dull tummy ache and bottom back ache, and i feel like i need to wee more often, also the big one is giving me nerve problems on top thigh. (All my symptoms are on and off all day)

But you know men dont understand so try and see female doctor if you can, because they wont fob you off . And sure it messes with your bowels. Us woman know as we have them. Good such hun ??

• Posted

Hello, I have PCOS polycystic ovarian syndrome, that causees mass amounrs of cysts on my ovaries at any given time. I found out I also have IBS-C iritable bowel disease-constipation. I would have the dr. Check for chrons and IBS. It is managable but cysts make the symptoms worse. I wish you luck. Hope you feel better.
  • Posted

Hi Susie, 

I was diagnosed with a simple cyst, which turned out to be a haemorrhagic cyst and ruptured. I had a lot of bladder/bowel trouble, like a pressure/heaviness feeling. So uncomfortable. I experienced brutal pelvis sharp pains. I thought my appendix burst. As far as Im aware a CA125 is supposed to be between 0 -35. Mines was 5 over it so It was borderline, they repeated the test 2 weeks later and it rose by another 35 if not more. The gynae told me that he wasnt worried about it because its not accurate. Apparently when your period is due affects it too. I definitely have had bowel trouble, even now when the cyst it resolving. 

Hope this helps smile 

• Posted

Susie, I've been feeling crazy and I was so glad to find your question! I was told the cyst should not affect my bowels either. How are you doing this long after your question?

• Posted

Hi I have just been told I have an ovarian cyst but my bowels have been all over the place for a few months and I'm now getting pain as well

• Posted

I have the same problem! You can private message me at  my name is Rachel

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this symptom. I was diagnosed with my second ovarian cyst on Wednesday after going to the ER for vomiting, diarrhea, extreme, and a fever. I knew it wasn't a stomach virus because I had one the week before and this felt very different, and I thought it might be appendicitis. They didn't do much at the ER except IV fluids, morphine, and Zofran. They just told me to follow-up with my OB/GYN. I'm doing that today because I'm still really sick. Sorry if TMI.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.