Does IBS cause depression...?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered IBS for as long as I can remember (I'm 31 now), the main symptoms being severe wind and diorreaha. As other people have stated, I also suffer the left side pain (particularly after exercise). If under immediate stress or upset, I find an instant urge to go to the toilet, this in itself leading to anxiety and panic attacks, this making the urge worse, etc etc etc... I have also noted tiredness, mood swings and depression, and been recently diagnosed with depression by my GP. Until reading the dialogue here today I did not realise that the tiredness and depression could in fact be linked to the IBS. Hopefully this will help when I next visit my GP as this gives greater impetus to getting him to refer me for blood tests etc in relation to the IBS.

All in all, I have to state, the condition is depressive and life consuming, taking over not only my life but that of my family too (who are now rather de-sensitised to the problems because they hear about them everyday!). It's useful to get this off my chest in an understanding forum. :roll:

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Ive had IBS for years, and the last year or so ive had serious problems connected to suspected Crohns Disease. Im on anti depressents to combat depression, mainly due to the fact that both IBS and Crohns ruine your life, and im only 19.

Family do tend to get tired hearing the same thing over and over again, thats why i go to see a councillor, a neutral source helps alot.

Just that little lift from sources helps alot, just makes you that little bit stronger to deal with the day to day pain and stress.

• Posted

[quote:2d97659b96=\"Jane Jefferson\"]I have suffered IBS for as long as I can remember (I'm 31 now), the main symptoms being severe wind and diorreaha. As other people have stated, I also suffer the left side pain (particularly after exercise). If under immediate stress or upset, I find an instant urge to go to the toilet, this in itself leading to anxiety and panic attacks, this making the urge worse, etc etc etc... I have also noted tiredness, mood swings and depression, and been recently diagnosed with depression by my GP. Until reading the dialogue here today I did not realise that the tiredness and depression could in fact be linked to the IBS. Hopefully this will help when I next visit my GP as this gives greater impetus to getting him to refer me for blood tests etc in relation to the IBS.

All in all, I have to state, the condition is depressive and life consuming, taking over not only my life but that of my family too (who are now rather de-sensitised to the problems because they hear about them everyday!). It's useful to get this off my chest in an understanding forum. :roll:[/quote:2d97659b96]

IM SO GLAD YOU HAVE POSTED THIS. I AM GOING BACK TO MY GP TOMORROW FOR \"DEPRESSION\" AND \"ANXIETY & PANIC ATTACKS\" I HAVE ALL THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOU ND I HAVE DONE NOW FOR 3 MONTHS, I HAVE POSTED MY STORY UNDER Irritable Bowel Syndrome. IF YOU COULD HAVE A LOOK AT IT PLEASE, I ALSO HAVE MY ADDRESS ON THERE IF U COULD SEND ME E-MAILS, OR TALK ON MSN. I REALLY NEED SOMEONES HELP, I DONT SEE A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL AND U SEEM THE ONE TO HELP ME. X

• Posted

Hi,

Ive suffered from IBS for 10 years now and it gets worse with my anxiety and panic attacks so Im guess depression can also affect it too. Anxiety and depression can manifest in lots of different ways so Id perhaps mention it to your GP smile

• Posted

you r deppressed because of your ibs,please read my post

25th april titled; ibs and food intolerance

regards glen

• Posted

I'm only depressed and panicky when I'm suffering an attack, and when it's over I'm OK again. I have been prescribed 5mg Diazepam (tranquillisers) which I take half in the morning, and half in the evening, just for use when the panick attacks get too much, as anxiety prolongs the IBS attack.
  • Posted

It's good to know I'm not the only one out there, been suffering for about 8 years now, Ive been on anti depressants for about 3 years now but they don't seem to be working although they did for about 6 months. I can't even make a twenty minute drive anymore without having to pull over and go in a bush like an animal, I'm scared to go to work or anywhere, to be honest I've been seriously thinking about just ending it all because I'm tired of being afraid and ashamed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.