Does it ever go for good?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 15 and my mum think it will eventually go for good but I don't believe that, has anyone been told this by a doctor? I haven't...

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Also my cfs doctor hasn't prescribed me anything for pain other than amitrptiline which didn't work🙁

• Posted

After suffering for many years I am now almost feeling like new so you can get over it. Didn't get any help from the NHS, did it all myself via pacing.

best of luck

• Posted

Thank you, I don't feel any better so far but the NHS have been telling me I have 3 hours and I need to stick to tgem and then increase by 20% and keep doing it every few weeks but it's hard because I'm not counting exactly what 'high energy' I'm doing.

• Posted

Yes, Ella! Your mum is right. It will eventually get better. Pace yourselft and take care of your health right now by resting, eating the right foods, and doing very light to moderate exercise. Yoga and meditation are great, too!  Good luck! KPD
    • Posted

Thank you, I have been meditating but haven't got time for yoga yet which is a shame but it's because I'm having to concentrate on my gcses🙁

• Posted

My understanding is that the younger a person is the better the chance for a full recovery.  My colleague at work had a 16 year daughter who had CFS, she had to take a year off from school but graduated and went on to college. I think that Eve`s daughter had a full recovery.

The best of luck to you and may your recovery be swift.

• Posted

Yes, Ella. The above poster is right. I was diagnosed with CFS 25 years ago. I had my daughter and she became ill when she was 16. She had a rough few years. The doctors diagnosed her with Post-Viral Syndrome. She is now a senior in college. Although she doesn't have the same energy as she did when she was much younger, she is much better and is able to go to school full time. She does nap when she feels exhaused and still paces herself, but her condition has improved significantly! She take Effexor for anxiety and a new doctor just prescribed her Ambien for sleeping when necessary. Moderate exercise really helps to increase her energy levels. Just keep pacing yourself and maybe you should ask the doctor to prescribe you something else for the pain/sleep. There are many different drugs out there and the same does not work for everyone. Hang in there. I hope you start feeling better! KPD

• Posted

I agree that the prognosis is better for young people...

The old school of thought was (thirds)

1/3 Will get well..

1/3 Will get well, but suffer relapses

1/3 Will never recover...

I can't say if this is accurate anymore, the more we learn, the less we know...

I personally feel even if you get well, relapses are possible. Certainly the previous advice is great! Take care of your body & avoid stress.

So, sorry if you have CFS/ME, they are making great strides in research so there may be good news soon.

I was in my 20's when I got sick, but after 3 years, I did recover somewhat. I have had many active years in spite of CFS/ME (I am 58 now). So don't lose hope, you will likely recover from the worst of the symptoms. Do your own research & don't be afraid to share it with your Dr., the more you know, the less fear of the unknown will take over.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.