Does it follow that atheroma and hypertension go together?

Posted , 2 users are following.

When I say hypertension I should add that i take medication and manage to keep the average reading below 130/80.  I am reading the blurb on preventing cardiovascular disease that the dr printed for me and it sounds as though atheroma is the same as hardening of the arteries and par for the course if you are 75 as i am, and have hypertension as well. I do seem to have higher readings overall than I did a few years ago and am due for the 6 month review so slightly worried that the meds may be increased.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane try not to worry as a slight increase in meds will drop it back down to your norm, my other half had to increase his dose by 5 mg daily and its back down to near normal, the more you worry the worse it will get, also make sure your getting plenty of fluids as well
    • Posted

Sorry didn't complete the answer, no it doesn't always mean you are definitely going to get it, partner has been on meds over 20 years with extremely high BP to start off and he hadnt

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. It's probably not such a good idea to read all the bumf the dr prints out, one can start to imagine all sorts of things! I have been on medication for almost 5 years so have no idea how long before that I may have had hypertension with all the damage it can do.  Before I was quite cavalier about health but now they have these risk assessments and every birthday is another rise - and another dr trying to persuade you to take a statin! So far I've refused.

• Posted

Can I ask why you refused statins and did you have cholesterol checked.

Yea being informed is good, so long as you are medically minded enough to sift out the appropriate details from the scare mongering, also being bombarded with info can sometimes cause information overload

• Posted

I refused statins because I have no family history of heart disease and a Qrisk of 10%> [reduced overnight by the NHS a year or so ago with no explanation] I feel is over medicalisation.  Last time my cholesterol was checked it was total 6.6 with a ratio of 2.4. The GP was quite happy with that.

• Posted

I also have no family history of genetic heart disease but when my cholesterol went up I tried for about 5/6 years to lower it naturally without success so I decided even with a higher ratio than yours and an 8% Qrisk factor I am taking atorvastatin 10 mg, it went down to 5.2 in a matter of weeks and I'm due for another test soon, if its down below five I will cut to 5mg daily as I have also been on a low calorie and low fat diet and I'm down from 10.5 stone to 9.5 stone, I'm not worried about my cholesterol now and although when I first went on statins, simvastatin I wasn't happy so my Dr moved me across to atorvastatin no probs, I also now do not have processed margarines or any fats that are synthetic, butter and olive oil only.

• Posted

Like you I only stick to butter and olive oil. Eversince being told my cholesterol was borderline high [5.9 at that point with a ratio of 2.7] I read all I could about it. I concluded that the science is dodgy regarding the link with heart disease and I strongly disapprove of the NHS over medicalising the population. Perhaps a different story if you have had a heart 'event' but I do feel strongly that the whole statin theory is flawed and driven by big pharma.  Until and unless they publish their trial results I feel they have something to hide and won't buy into it.  I also have arthritis in  my knee and wish to continue walking to keep that at bay so don't want to risk any muscle damage. 

When my Qrisk rose to 14%> and I was offered a statin as the GP said she had to do, I asked if given my health record she would take one and she said NO. Good enough for me. 

• Posted

These people like to wind me up by not letting me send you a message!! 
    • Posted

Hi Jane it'd be because you used a word they didn't except, it will come up eventually

• Posted

I wonder what it was, I'll try again!

I just wanted to say that i refused a statin when the dr offered it as I don't believe all the scare stories about cholesterol and hate taking medication for anything. i looked into the pros and cons and concluded the possible side effects would compromise my life too much. I asked the GP if she would take one given my health and she said NO.

I feel that the whole cholesterol  issue is a huge con and statins are promoted by big  pharma and I want no part in it. They won't publish their trial results and I wonder why if they have nothing to hide.  I don't believe cholesterol is the bad guy and think it is wrong to keep lowering the bar.

• Posted

That's fair enough, we are all in control of our health when it comes to most choices and medication is one we can accept or decline, that's one thing that no one can say I was forced to take it.

I hope that with your lifestyle it will come down naturally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.