Does it get worse before it gets better?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I noticed a "herald patch" near my collarbone about 2 weeks or so ago and thought it was just a burn from my hair straightener because at the time it was not very big at all. Boy was I wrong... Throughout the next week it only proceeded to get bigger and that's when I decided to see my primary about it. She ended up diagnosing it as ringworm and sent me home with instructions to apply an OTC anti-fungal on it. I did that for another week and noticed that it hadn't improved and that I was starting to get little red oval-shaped marks on my chest, stomach, shoulders, and back. Once again, I went to the doctor and it was diagnosed as rosea pityriasis. I was told there was no cure for it and that it should go away within two months, but the problem is... It's going to be summer in two months!!! There's no way I want to be walking around bearing these embarrassing marks and having people stare.

I'm 20 years old, a fairly social person, I work in customer service, and there's no way I want to be overheating trying to cover this up by wearing heavy clothing. For the past week I've been washing up with Head And Shoulders shampoo using a loofa and just recently started applying Goldbond Eczema relief lotion hoping that it would do at least SOMETHING. So far, nothing yet :-/ I went in a tanning bed for 5 minutes yesterday after seeing that it had helped so many people on here. I really haven't seen much of a difference other than it appears to be spreading to the area around my neck, armpits and groin (gross, I know).

ANY tips are appreciated, as this is very embarrassing and warm weather is approaching quickly - meaning less layers of clothing *cue horror music* I'd like to hear how long it took for your case to go away as well just to get a vague idea of what could be ahead of me.

Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I personally do not agree to adding heat to the problem. I just had this last week and had it for about 2 weeks prior to a girl telling me to use head and shoulder intensive care - blue bottle, orange shampoo. And curel ultra healing lotion. Bathe in the shampoo two times a day, luke warm water - never hot. And use the lotion 3 times a day. Mine cleared up in LITERALLY 4 days. I'm 21 and was freaking out about summer as well - even cried because I was so embarrassed haha. I hope this works for you!! 
    • Posted

I don't have a bath, just walk-in showers so I hope washing up with Head and Shoulders twice a day works the same magic! I think I have a stubborn case. Really crossing my fingers that it at least fades a bunch before it gets too warm out!
    • Posted

Oops - sorry I meant to say shower twice a day with the shampoo. I didn't belive doing that for a couple days would really make it go away but I was so  amazed! 
  • Posted

I'm 19 and I have had it for about a week, it's horrible and I know exactly what you're going through!! Mine gets itchier and spreads every daysad I tanned today for about 6 minutes in a bed, and will continue to increase the time throughout the next few weeks and see if that will help, because once didn't work for me either. It's a sucky thing to have before summer that's for sure.
    • Posted

Ugh good luck! I'm trying EVERYTHING I can find on here. I've read that tanning too much or tanning with a bronzing lotion is bad in the long run though because it's harder to get your original skin pigment back where the spots are so I'm trying to take it easy on the tanning. 
    • Posted

Yeah I have to be careful about tanning too. I just bought the head and shoulders intensive care shampoo bc I've read that it helps! The one with the dark blue bottle. So I guess I'll see haha. Hopefully being in the sun helps too!
  • Posted

Hi, I've had it for 2 weeks now. Get some zinc capsules. VitaminC. Eat healthy and get some good old Sun. Not too much 10_15 min. I sat in front of the mirror wishing it away, that wasn't working so I had to change my attitude towards it.Don't apply any lotions just use E45, My doc gave me some liquid parafin lotion I apply 2x daily. It stops itching and keeps skin moistured. I work in beauty business and this is a nightmare for me, however I have seen some improvement since I've done all of the above. Good luck x
  • Posted

I got rid of mine in less then two weeks. I used head and shoulders shampoo, followed by Aveeno shower wash and then I used e45 cream to soothe it. I used a sunbed twice. The first time I went on the sunbed I thought the rash looked worse after it because the patches became more red but the next day it started to clear up amazingly. Honestly the uv lights help so much but dont over do it, i went for 7 mins each time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.