does it get worse before it gets better

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been down with pityriasis for 5 wks now going to 6, i got the head and shoulders shampoo and av been bathing with it for about 2 days now and the rash tends to be increasing, pls can someone tell

me it gets better.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I had this rash at the beginning of May and I got rid of it after about two and a half weeks by going tanning in a bed. I went four times in 2 weeks, each time for about 6-8 min. I used to be seriously against tanning in a bed but I'm telling you it does wonders for the rash. Hang in there, I totally know what you're going through! Oh and keep using head and shoulders as body wash (without hot water). Good luck!! 
  • Posted

It will get better aikay. I think if treatments like sun and Head and Shoulders are started in the early stages of PR, it doesn't last as long. Even stil, keep treating it and getting exposure to sunlight or tanning and it will help. Sometimes the rash will look worse after sun and washing, so don't stress that because it will make it better eventually. It's probably gonna spread and run it's course until it starts to really go into healing mode. I didn't treat it early because I was misdiagnosed in the beginning. But it's week 6 and mine is 95% gone. It's a very discouraging condition that is long lasting! But it does have a beginning and ending. It just doesn't clear up as fast as we would like. smile. I was so embarrassed that I lost out on the opportunity of a relationship because it was too new to admit I had this problem. Hang in there! 
  • Posted

thank u thank u , for ur replies i am sincerely grateful!
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have been suffering from PR since March. I did a lot of research and the two most frequent treatments were the head and shoulders shampoo and sunbathing. I hate sunbathing, so that was not an option. However, I had the same experience with the shampoo. At first my spots started fading away then it got worse. More and more spots apperared on my body and they were itching like hell. I did more research and it seems that the shampoo does not work for everyone. I tried the following:

- Try to stop worrying. This is a harmless skin condition and it will pass sooner or later. Stress makes it worse.

- Use hydrocortizone cream with aloe

- Drink a lot of water.

I have been doing these for only few days and my spots are almost gone smile Good luck

• Posted

I think you can try different things to help it go away but time is the best cure. Mine is completely gone now and no scars or signs that it was even there. I agree, don't stress. 
  • Posted

thank u thank u.. i appreciate ur comments!
  • Posted

Firstly do not use hot water to wash this makes the rash much worse. Take zinc tablets and use tea tree cream that stops the itching almost immediately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.