Does it matter which lens goes in the dominant eye?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My left eye is going to need cataract surgery and then the right eye maybe another year from now. The left eye is non-dominant and near sighted and right is dominant and far sighted. The doctor said we can put a multi-focal or mono-focal lens in the non-dominant left. I am leaning toward the multi-focal lens and then later replace the right eye with a multi-focal or mono-focal lens depending on what I want.

But from what I've been reading is that it is better to put the distance lens on the dominant eye. If i put a multi-focal lens in the non-dominant eye and then later put a mono-focal lens set for near or medium vision for reading will my brain have a hard time especially since that's the opposite of how I see right now. I know if I go with two multi-focal lenses it won't be an issue. But if I do go with a modified mono-vision set up would it be better to replace the left non-dominant near sight eye with the mono-vision lens for reading and then later on get the multi-focal lens in the dominant right eye for distance and driving?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think it is probably best to have the same lens in each eye if you can and have them "close together" in range. most people cannot tolerate full mono vision. I think very few would set a mono focal lens to "reading / near" range. One of mine is set only -0.5D from distance (just half diopter in) and I can see very well at all ranges. I can read the letters on a medicine bottle in decent lighting. I have mono focal lens and one is set to distance while the other is set only 1/2D in towards near so my eyes work together to see better at all ranges. In other words, I chose "mini mono vision" where my eyes are set 1/2 diopter apart with mono focal in both eyes.

I think it's good that you are researching this. Maybe others can answer better on mixing mono focal and multi focal lens. One thing many will talk about with multi focal that I have heard are halos, glares and starbursts at night (especially while driving). I think mono focal has the most natural vision. I've read others complain that multi focal lens does not have nearly as good of contrast, colors and clarity as a mono focal.

Also, when mixing lens if you have mono vision then you do have to be very concerned about depth perception. I've read that seniors can be more prone to slip and falls with a lack of depth perception. I mention this because you write about a mono focal set for the near/medium range. I've read others who have their mono focal set "just shy" of distance and see quite well up close (I found that was the case for me but only after both eyes were done).

Good luck to you.

• Posted

I should have mentioned most prefer to set the dominant eye to distance but since I did mini mono vision, it didn't matter. Also, I've read your dominant eye can change over time but again, most do prefer to set the dominant eye for distance when mixing ranges.

• Posted

Jeff, my situation was somewhat similar to yours. My right (non-dominant) eye needed surgery in February, 2018. My left (dominant) eye also has a cataract but it wasn't yet affecting my vision. My surgeon wanted to do both eyes within a few weeks of each other, but I pushed back and ended up only having the first right eye done. I had a multifocal IOL implanted and we discussed having the distance point set to 0.5D (and the dominant eye set for plano).

However, I ended up going for plano on my right eye. At the time, the surgeon told me I'd probably need my left done in ~6 months, but it's already been 12 and I haven't noticed any issues yet.

I am very happy with the results and am glad I went for plano on the right eye and did not do the left. Unlike you, I am nearsighted in my dominant eye and I now wear a multifocal contact with the distance also set for plano. The eyes work very well together. I don't know how much longer I'll have until surgery #2. It could be a few months or several years, but I think this was the right choice for me.

• Posted

Hi Jeff:)

My experience is that I'm REALLY glad that I did the monofocal lens in the dominant eye (set for distance) and the EDOF (Symfony) lens in the non-dominant eye. The main reason for this is that it GREATLY reduces the "night time driving artifacts", i.e., halos, concentric circles, excessive glare from the Symfony lens. Tho Symfony is technically called an "Extended Depth of Focus" lens, it works similarly to a "multifocal" lens but with more focus choices for the eye/brain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.