Does it sound like this could be Lyme?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I've been experiencing some vague symptoms that wax and wane since the beginning of August. It started with a feeling of a lump in my throat that would not go away, and frequent hiccups. I am now on a medication for reflux. I realize that is not a known symptom of Lyme, but I wanted to include it because it all started around the same time. I also had ear pain that lasted for weeks, with no sign of infection. I then started experiencing muscle aches in my legs. For a solid two weeks, they hurt. Sometimes  they also felt very heavy- like there was cement strapped to them. Then the muscle aches spread through my body- arms, neck, shoulders, back.This pain usually moves around- but occasionally several things hurt at once. I also had frequent tingling in my hands and arms- one day, my entire left arm tingled all day. Then I started to have fleeting nerve pains all over my body- especially in my wrists, chest, and ankles, but even in my teeth.

Anyway, at an appointment in late August I had a blood test for Lyme. It came back negative. My doctor put me on doxycycline anyway because of my symptoms. I started to feel somewhat better- notably, the heaviness and intense pain in my legs disappeared. The tingly feelings lessened- but the symptoms didn't fully go away. Because there was improvement, my doctor extended the antibiotic for 7 days. I finished the full course about a week ago.

Overall, there is significant improvement. My ears rarely hurt. If my legs hurt, it's much more mild. The nerve pain is far less frequent, as are the tingly/numb feelings. However, the muscle aches have not fully gone away. I still wake up stiff  and with something (or more than one thing) sore. It usually gets a bit better throughout the day, but I still feel like I'm hurting more than is normal. The hiccups/throat lump feeling are also still present, though I know that is quite possibly a second and unrelated issue.

If you read this far, I really appreciate it! I would just like to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or has any thoughts on whether this could be Lyme. Has anyone had symptoms linger after a full course of treatment?

Also, I never had a rash or fever. I know those are typical symptoms. I did have a known tick bite, but it was 2 months before any symptoms started. I also could have encountered other ticks without knowing it, though- I live in a place with a lot.

Thanks in advance for any input anyone might have smile I am still having follow-up appointments and have a brain MRI scheduled this week to check for other issues. But the Lyme is still a possibility.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there hun! 

Omg yes these are symptoms of Lyme. 

I got bit by a bug early August and the doctor never told me what I was bit by.. weeks later I have severe headaches, head pressure, eye pressure, Hand tremor, tingling all over my entire body, wrist and joint pains, millions of eye floaters In both eyes, extreme fatigue, hair loss, depression. I asked to get tested for Lyme and I tested postive on the first test. sad did you do both tests? I hope you get your answers! I just want to be treated already. I can’t until I get my second test results. I hate feeling like this so bad. I really hope your MRI is okay and maybe ask if you can test again for Lyme or see what other treatments there are! <3 

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you! We definitely had some similar symptoms. I believe I only had one test- I didn't realize there were two. From what I understand of it, I can't really be tested again now that I've been on the antibiotic. I don't think the result would be accurate. If this is Lyme, it is a very odd, miserable thing, that's for sure! I hope you get some relief soon. Are you on the antibiotic?? I experienced some degree of relief very quickly when put on that, which is why I think it's a real possibility even though I tested negative.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience!

I was bitten by a tick a few weeks ago. When i found a tick behind my ear i immediately went to see P.A. at Doctors Urgent Care clinic for evaluation and treatment. They took blood test and gave me free antibiotics required to treat Lyme disease. Though the blood test came back negative, i worry if it can be false negative?

• Posted

Hi,

My doctor said the test is about 80% accurate. It sounds like there might be a couple of different tests though. I believe if you get the test very early, it's less likely to show a positive result. But if you are on the antibiotics anyway, it shouldn't matter!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.