Does keeping animals, cats etc increase the risk of itching after shingles?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had shingles in March 2016 and have had  PHN since then, my eye being the problem, I never have a day when it doesn't feel itchy and/or sore, sometimes watering and looking pink around the rim of the eye. I have always been around animals, i have  two and the fur has never seemed to make anything worse, but I have recently taken on 2 rescue cats and I am now hoping that the fur will not cause more problems, I have never noticed any difference when I have been with my sister's dogs etc, and have never been asked at the eye clinic if I kept pets. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,

i also have PHN in the right eye, forehead and scalp. If you were not allergic to cats before PHN you should not now be allergic because of PHN. I get itching also, in fact that is more of a problem than the pain. The cause is nerve damage, not allergy or current viral infection or other issue. 

One one thing I've discovered that might help you is that even mild dehydration can set off a severe itching episode for me. So if I have one of those episodes now, I immediately drink a large glass of water. Within 30 minutes the itching will subside. 

Also, rubbing the eye will increase itching and cause watery eye, so I try my best to leave it alone. 

Best medication for me has been Aspercreme. It decreases itching a fair amount, allowing me to sleep and function better. A new discovery:  triamcinolone acetonide, a prescription cream for eczema, really helps even more. Very small amounts work well. 

Hope we this all helps you, Jane!

• Posted

Hi Charlie,

Thank you so much for all that advice, I will definitely try drinking more water! My eye has been so sore for the last few days and as you say, rubbing it doesn't help so i really must try not to! I sometimes put a small amount of Sudocrem on my eyelid as that is also for eczema, and it does soothe it slightly,I will ask my Dr for the other cream you mentioned,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.