Does Lansoprazole cause long terms side effects even when you stopped taken it?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma here.

As I was coughing almost every morning I suspected I had gastric reflux so I was put on Lansoprazole. I started taking this medication on 9th April 2018 and stopped it on 14th June 2018. The reflux problem has lessened but I had an episode of Vertigo on 18/6/18 shortly after I stopped taking this med. It passed but what worries me most is that, since I've started taking Lansoprazole, and even after I've stopped, I get this weird sensation that my mouth is getting weak on one side and I'm struggling to swallow on an empty mouth. This doesn't happen all time but it's a recurrent and scary feeling. I just hope it's the effect of Lansoprazole and that it will go away completely. Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks

Karine

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi karine,

I quit taking my meds thinking that i was ok already but had vertigo which was the ugliest side effect i think but no drs want to confirm it. I started taking omeprazole 40 mg cause i have this weird sensations on my chest & cough in the morning.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. From what you're saying it could be that Lansoprazole gives these horrible side effects for a while even when you stop taking it. Doctors will never admit that medications cause side effects.

• Posted

Exactly, i wad referred to a dr for my vertigo  and he told me he was wondering how come i was referred to him in the first place. He prescribed me anti nausea which i didn’t buy when my problem is dizxiness and not vomiting. I hate this feeling like there’s gurgling in my chest . It is only relieved with higher dose of omeprazole. I take mine at night.
    • Posted

Please don't take higher doses without consulting. Omeprazole is not that good to take in high doses.

• Posted

thank you ffmffm7,

I only did that due to discomfort I was feeling.  I do not recommend that to anyone without seeking medical consultation.

• Posted

Hi, I must note that you shouldn't quit cold turkey.

Moreover, I'm not sure but swallowing problem may be related to reflux/IBS. The fact that your mouth is week and you have vertigo could be related to something else, I don't want to scare you but it looks like the symptoms of stroke, so call the emergency but I hope it's nothing serious.

• Posted

Hi, I must note that you shouldn't quit cold turkey.

Moreover, I'm not sure but swallowing problem may be related to reflux/IBS. The fact that your mouth is week on one side and you have vertigo could be related to something else, I don't want to scare you but it looks like the symptoms of stroke, so call the emergency but I hope it's nothing serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.