Does Less Progesterone in HRT have to mean less Oestrogen?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I am struggling to find an HRT that solves all the symptoms. Am currently using Evorel Conti Patches but they are causing Prostagenic side effects, i.e. getting depressed.

I asked for Kliofem but found they have 4 times the same Progesterone although I am not sure if they are equal as one is oral and the other transdermal.

I thought of asking for Kliovance which has less but then the Oestrogen drops and I think I need more Oestrogen not less!

Any advice welcome before I go slowly mad! xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Daisy lady. Can you not treat the side effects? I have to take dicyclomine with probiotics for two days every couple weeks. I also take clonazepam when I feel stress building up every couple weeks. The benefits of BioTe outweigh the negative symptoms. I feel this is more effective to treat side symptoms and let my body try to acclimate to the HRT. Hopefully, i won't have those issues much longer but if i do, easy to treat. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi,

I know what you mean - it's the progesterone that's causing the problems for me. I contacted a menopause doctor privately and she told me I could ask for a lower dose of progesterone. Apparently it's not generally given out because it's easier to prescribe everyone Everorel Conti..... Let me know if you want the details.

Best wishes,

Rachel.

• Posted

I agree with you. It is easy for me to say as I have surgical menopause and I don't need progesterone. However, my gp got it in her head that I need progesterone for 'balance' (this was incorrect) and the progesterone upset my oestradiol big time. It brought back menopause symptoms. Progesterone is an oestrogen antagonist and reduces the effectiveness of oestrogen.

If you have natural menopause then you need progesterone. A Professor of Gyneacology in Leicestershire research provides the information that only just enough progesterone is required to stop uterine bleeding, and as much oestrogen as necessary to prevent menopause symptoms.

I suggest you try oestradiol patches only and progesterone separately starting at minimal dose so that you can trial how much you really need to prevent bleeding.

When I am using patches (I am currently using oestradiol pellet implants), I use Estraderm MX 100, 2 patches per week, each containing 3mg of oestradiol. These two patches do not last a week for me, so I top up with a satchet of oestradiol gel on the 7th day.

I have been using this strength for 29 years now.

• Posted

Thank you for writing... I am feeling ok with just the bio Te. I went in to do my labs so should hear something from GP tomorrow or so. I am 60. My doc did not mention progesterone @ all. I also am on other RXs so maybe there are reasons for that. BioTe does require DIM supplement to make better use of and to balance HRT. I also added vitamins E with selenium. My skin and nails are so much better. Mostly, I want healthier veins and bones etc. But, I will take your advice and ask abt progesterone and why it was not mentioned to me. Also, if a patch may be better for me. Currently, I am taking care of mood swings w/ clonazepam. Bowel disturbances with dicyclomine and probiotics. If we can eliminate those probs then change is worth it. $$ also.

It is interesting the things I've read abt women who are body building and trying HRT. Women need body fat to process estrogen. Normal healthy women should carry abt 15 to 20 percent fat. If you get lower body fat, it seems your body cant operate efficiently if it's being denied the cells it needs to store/process the estrogen. Your breasts, female organs and thyroid will shrivel up and stop functioning. Guess I need to research female athletes and hormones/reproductive issues. Thank you for your reply!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.