Does Lichen Sclerosus always hurt? Had since I was 18!

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm 31 years and had itchy perineum since I was 18 (right after my first son) wasn't diagnosed with LS till I was 26 and put on that steroid cream which worked until recently, I feel like I've become allergic to that stuff and gives me redness all over the vagina.

I have never experienced pain with LS, just an unbearable itch in the perineum that would lead to the lips sometimes and I could literally scratch it till it bleeds and it still wouldn't hurt! Wtf! Does anyone else experience this? When I scratch it feels rather good and soothing. But I know I shouldn't as it could tear away at the soft tissue but that's how unbearable it is.

Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy and sometimes the itch would hit me while I am out in public and feel I have to find a washroom a-sap just to relieve myself.

Everything else is good though? I can have sex just fine with no pain. And the appearance is fine other than some very faint white patch on the perineum. I'm really scared that my LS could worsen in the future. I've googled pictures of worst cases and it makes me want to 😭😭😭😭

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Talk with your Gyn about switching from a steroid ointment to Elidel or Protopic. It's not a steroid but helps manage LS symptoms. Also, talk with your MD about the Mona Lisa Touch procedure to help improve symptoms and tissue health. I feel your frustration. I am finishing the last few sessions on the Mona Lisa and my quality of life is improving. Research the medicine and Mona Lisa.

• Posted

Thank you! I knew there had to be something else than steroid cream. I will mention this to my doc!!
  • Posted

I also recommend the Mona Lisa. I had my first treatment over a year ago and I have to say it's been the best year of my life. Well best in the last 16 years since my first outbreak. I joke and say I bought myself a new who who for Christmas.

• Posted

Hi Janelle,

Soak in a tub with 1/3 cup of baking soda, and your itching will dissappear very quickly.  Also, read the thread "An experiment with Borax". There is a ton of excellent info on this site, so take your time and read through it all.  Many great women have contributed their tips and insights.  It's been a godsend for me.

• Posted

It is known that globetasol has to be used with longer and longer interfalls or it will no longer be affective.  Also, it is important that you only apply in very thin layers and only on the affected area's.  When applied on healthy skin it reddens the skin.

?For the itching I would recommend baking soda and borax baths and rinses.  Already mentioned - look at the discussion "An experiment with borax". 

?I hope you will soon feel more in control of this debilitating disease.

• Posted

This sounds just like me. No pain just itching. I find

I have to go back to using the steroid cream every

Day for about a week to clear up my itch. I don't know why it always comes back but I am starting

To think maybe I have something else cuz what

People describe on here doesn't seem what I have.

Just terrible itching!

• Posted

I never had pain either, but the itching.  Works on you nerves. 
  • Posted

As was mentioned, Please read the thread "an experiment with Borax"! It was an absolute life saver for me! All of my itching, biting, burning stopped. and as long as I use the saturated solution and no the baths I have no problem at all! Baking soda also works wonders too!

• Posted

As was mentioned, Please read the thread "an experiment with Borax"! It was an absolute life saver for me! All of my itching, biting, burning stopped. and as long as I use the saturated solution and no the baths I have no problem at all! Baking soda also works wonders too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.