Does long term use of zopiclone alter your looks?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm asking because I've been taking 1/2 of a 3.75mg tablet each night for 7 months and was taking 7.5 mg nightly for 2 months before that.

My GP prescribed Zopiclone to help me sleep during a stressful period at work when I wasn't sleeping well and I've been taking it ever since. I have bipolar depression and have been taking 800mg lithium nightly for 15 years as well as 10mg seroxat and 75mg Effexor in the morning.

However, recently, since I started taking the sleeping tablets, people have commented on how tired I look and that I look as if I've lost weight in my face or look 'drawn'.

Apart from this I feel hungover all day after taking zopiclone and feel that it doesn't really help with my depression. I also feel like it makes me look old - I'm 39 and female.

What do you think?

Thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Not sure what help I can be.it is so easy to start taking pills and so difficult to stop Yes I also look tired and have lost weight in my face. I look as though I need a holiday in the sun. Friends say that I am too thin which does not help my depression. I only take Zopiclone on a regular basis and I know it is no good on a long term basis,but I have such trouble sleeping without them.
  • Posted

Hi and thank you all for your stories. I have been taking Zopiclone for 4 nights now and am definitely not myself. My depression is much worse than ever and am not enjoying life as I used to. I thought I needed this medication to sleep at night (as needed) and was prescribed it after I was hospitalized for a mood disorder a month ago and was not really keen on starting to take it on a regular basis. I think during the PMS week is when I needed it in order to sleep all the way through the night. The repercussions are obvious, total and utter gloom! I have since flushed this medication down the toilet and am waiting for the drug to leave my system and will update you alll on here if this has made a difference or not. Please share all of your experiences as it helps a lot of people discover that these meds are just opposite to what they say they can do for you. I know not all people have the same side effects, but if I can stop anyone from taking these evil pills I WILL! Thank you for reading.
  • Posted

I've been taking Zopiclone 7.5 mg nightly for 1 year and 8 months. Over the course of that time, I've lost a lot of weight (about 60 lbs.). Everyone thought I was dieting but I wasn't.

Long story short, one of the side effects of Zopiclone can be loss of muscle tone - that's what happened to me. It's changed my appearance so I look older now than what I actually am (I have this wrinkly neck thing going on right under my chin and it other places as well). I believe I were to stop taking this drug, continue eating healthy and start a regular exercise routine that it would be reversed.

35 year old female - I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi everyone! as I posted yesterday, I have been taking zopiclone for nearly 6 weeks. I started by taking 1 7.5mg, but couldn't sleep, so I went back to my doctor who told me to start taking 2 per night. Since doing this, I have been experiencing bad nosea. I have cut it down to one for the past 2 nights hoping this will stop the nosea. I hope to come off them altogether as this drug frightens me. I am totally blind, and have a fear of being sick so can anyone help with coping with the nosea?
  • Posted

Hi guys! Ever since I stopped taking Zopiclone, I have been noticing a great change in my appearance, so there is hope lol I no longer have wrinkles around my eyes, and my skin is firming up gradually again. I guess one never knows what this stuff can do, plus being miserable the day after taking it. I am 40 years old, and everyone thought I looked older, close friends and family. I have since started an exercise routine also. Feeling much better without this dreaded drug.
  • Posted

Hi everyone! since being on zopiclone I have suffered bad effects of nosea, and very bad depression crying for nothing at all! I have now started to decrease the doze, and just can't wait to get off this dreadful drug!
  • Posted

I must pluck up immense courage and reduce the dose gradually to come off this drug, as I have also lost

weight and feel as though I am crumbling and only wish to go back to sleep as soon as I wake up.

I look so unhealthy and the sparkle has gone out of my life and I have been left in despair because carrying

on with his drug Is slowly destroying me and my looks.

At 70 I cannot carry on this way,and yet it is SO difficult to just STOP

• Posted

you must keep trying to get off this awful drug, as I am, or it will ruin your life.
  • Posted

Hi to both Valerie and Wendi, I am so proud of both of you for recognizing you needed to make a change and you will reap many benefits of stopping this drug. There are several natural herbs you may take while weaning off this drug and it will allow you to sleep at night. Passion Flower, Valerian, and Melatonin are all great to assist you in nighttime sleep. Also, drink a lot of water all day and cut caffeine out of your diet after lunch or closely before suppertime. This will allow the caffeine to slowly leave your system for a good night's rest. Let me know how you are doing and what steps you are taking to improve your health. Thank you. Good day to you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.