Does low dose of gabapentin contribute to high pressure

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on 300mg gabapentin once at night for 3 months for recurring shingles. Shingles symptoms gone,sleep real well but now been diagnosed with high blood pressure 150/110. Would dose cause this sudden rise. Pretty scary! Now increasing blood pressure pills from 5mg to 10mg. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Rise in blood pressure is not listed as a side effect of Gabapentin. Besides, 300mg is a low dose. I would doubt the two are related.
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine, i'm taking 900mg a day and i had my blood pressure checked yesterday and it is fine, so i don't know whether this is what is causing your high blood pressure. Best to speak to your doctor.
    • Posted

Hi Irene it was my dr who discovered it and suggested doubling my blood pressure medication, she was'nt too concerned will just monitor it.  I'm a 67 yr old, not overweight, never smoked, no family history of blood pressure and very active, I am at a loss to figure this hike in my blood pressure as it has been down to 128/70 which was only a few months ago so guess just have to wait and see.
    • Posted

Hi Lorraine, if your shingles are gone maybe you will be able to come off them. Hope you get sorted
  • Posted

I'm on blood pressure meds, my doctor has put me on gab, have seen no changes, ask your doc. to be sure. Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.