Does Medication clear obstruction?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've using the CIC method for the last 6 months and I'm glad I didn't rush into the suggested TURP surgery. I'm heading to a different URO this week and would like some suggestions on what to ask to see if I'm improving. I had a stretched bladder with an obstruction in the lateral lobes, prostate size was 25 cc. PSA test was low so other than asking to check the size of the prostate and maybe the size of the bladder, is there anything else to know? 

I also know that he will ask if I stayed on the generic Flowmax that was prescribed 6 months ago and I didn't stay on it long. My theory was that it's my bladder causing most of the problem and I didn't think the drug would clear the obstruction. From what I read, it relaxes the muscle and I didn't feel anything was changing but I was only on for a month. 

Should I be asking for a different prescription? Is there anything that can help a stretched bladder, other than exercises and time? Or anything that can clear an obstruction, other than surgeries? And does it make sense to do a surgery for the obstruction, if the bladder is stretched? I'm thinking I need to rehab the bladder before fixing the obstruction.

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been performing CIC for 14 months and also have an enlarged bladder.  I cath 4 times per day and have no natural voids.  I was on Flowmax for a year before I started CIC and about 6 months after.  I was also given a prescription for finasteride shortly before I started CIC.  My urologist had me stop taking it a few months ago.  I don't notice any difference in performing CIC since I stopped taking the drugs.  I haven't had a doctor visit since I stopped the finasteride, so I won't know until my next visit in October whether anything has changed.

• Posted

Tom I think you should do what Cartoonman said get a hold of JimJames for you help with your bladder.  He will be able to help you.  Don not rush into any surgery before the bladder is taking care of.  That may be all you need.  You do have a small prostate.  I can't believe a doctor wanted to do a TURP on that small of a prostate.  Good luck Ken 

• Posted

Tome there are some meds that can help you that do not have any side effects Just take care  Ken
    • Posted

Yes, I am trying to follow JimJames CIC method. I know he mentioned that it takes time, just wanted to know if there were some other things I should be doing other than CIC.
  • Posted

Yes, it takes time.  I'll offer this thought:  TAKE NOTES!  Record your amounts, where practical.  I kept a gradated measuring device in the loo for a couple of years, and recorded amounts peed, plus PVR, each time, missing very few.  And I'm NOT the meticulous type.

I found the amounts were my "cheering squad," and kept me honest.  I recorded the diminishing amounts of PVR, and those times I missed, and had larger quantities.  I did this recording of amounts for about 18 months.  I established a number for my stream, and know that (on average) I void 100cc/10 seconds, so I now just count while voiding, and while cathing, so I know what I'm carrying in my bladder.  I also pay closer attention to my body's signals.  As mentioned, 4 years ago, I had NO sensation of needing-to-void, even with 900cc in my bladder.  Today, I'll get the alert with as little as 150cc, and certainly with 250/300cc.   

Good luck!

• Posted

Without going back are you getting some NV's now? I started CIC at 2x a day a year ago and moved to 4 x a day in April 2018. Only get small NV's in AM when CIC at 8:00 and previous CIC was night before at 9:30. So distended bladder with diverticulum and guess tight small prostate.

Actually feel like NV's have gotten less. When discovered went over a year trying triple voids and things stayed the same. My Uro does support that bladder muscle can rehab but not all do.

Just looking for some positives and hope. I see you are 4 years in. Have you seen some light?

THX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.