Does mirtazapine affect exercise performance?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've recently quickly gone up from 15 to 45mg. Before, I could just about run a 5k, whereas after six weeks on 45mg I seem to conk out at the 10 minute mark no matter how hard I push myself. Could this be the mirtazapine?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hello, no, its not the mirt, directly. its your anxiety/tension levels are higher. you would get this whether on any antidepressant, or not. if you have anxiety or tension, you are working much harder, as you are working against yourself. you mention no matter how hard i try, that will make it worse. you cant exercise against anxiety. exercising hard, means you produce cortisol/adrenaline, which increases your anxiety/,tension further. you need to relax into your exercise, and dont push too hard. you will have this issue, whenever your anxiety is high. fighting it makes it worse.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Anthony

I started on 15 mg Mirt about 10 weeks ago. I'm into outdoor sport in a big way, especially road cycling and MTB , and I have definitely been feeling very sluggish for the first say 20 min of every ride. After that, I get into my ride and it's ok. Only noticed this since starting Mirt . I take it at night and although my sleep is amazing (out like a light for 8 hours) , I feel groggy in the mornings and also feel tired in my body when I start out on a bike ride. So I think I'm experiencing something similar to you. I 've been taking Venlafaxine for years (v low dose when I'm well and 150 mg when I'm not) and never had any issues with fatigue.

I guess we're all different, but I don't recognise with what Nigel wrote about exercising hard worsening anxiety. I'm the best version of myself when doing outdoor sport, and doing it hard. In fact my fail safe strategy for when things are really bad is to push myself to my limits on my bike. A safe way to release the angst.

Hope you feel better and get back into your running soon!

Report Reply
    • Posted

hello, your anxiety may not be that high. and the mirt has got it under control, ie its more or less normal. if you dont experience increased tension/anxiety when excercising hard, carry on. if you do, then back off. it was when i was most anxious it happened. now im less anxious, it doesnt. just realised you are on 15mg, ie a low dose. anthony is on max dose of 45mg, so presumably worse anxiety, hence symptoms.

Report Reply
  • Posted

not sure how you are getting on. just wanted to add, my anxiety came down quite a bit a couple of months ago. as a result, now doing twice the amount of excercise per day, than previously, and its easy to do. on same dose. its not the meds, its how anxious you are, that causes the issue.

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up