Does Mirtazapine have withdrawal symptoms?

Posted , 6 users are following.

My psychiatrist has just agreed that I can try reducing my antidepressant medication. I'm on 225mg venlafaxine and 30mg mirtazapine, and he's suggested I gradually reduce the mirtazapine first, and see what happens He's warned me that i might notice less sedation, so sleep less well. Are there any other withdrawal symptoms I should know about? Anyone else tried it?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi well done coming off ADs i do know mirtz is more seditive the lower the dose.. i weaned my self off mirtz last year, i experienced a rise in engry also very vivid dreams, hope this helps, goodluck hun
    • Posted

Hi when I moved on to venlafaxine people said I was a changed person! But I still want to come off them completely, I know i'm the real me!!
  • Posted

Hi Pixie, congratulations, that's great news for you.  You may want to post the question in the Mirtazapine group as you'll probably get a better response on there.  I hope the reduction goes well.  Mirtazapine is well known for having greater sedation at lower does so it shouldn't affect your sleep until you come right off it, if indeed it does.  Good luck xxx
  • Posted

Be very careful when you begin withdrawing from the venlafaxine.  There are many dangerous side effects of withdrawal.  Rage, crying jags, utter despair, virulent insomnia, night sweats, tremors, confusion ... the list goes on.  But you can do it.  It takes courage to gut it out but you can get this poison out of your system.
    • Posted

Yes I have heard it's difficult to reduce venlafaxine. Psychiatrist has suggested gradually coming off mirtazapine then waiting 6 months before trying any other changes.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. It's encouraging to know it can be done. Coming off venlafaxine will be a bigger problem, but that's a long time in the future.
  • Posted

I didn't have any major problems coming off it. But I was on Venlafaxine after
  • Posted

Hi I'm total opposite coming off vf now on mirtazapine .this is my 5th day with no vf don't know really why  I'm changing from one horrible drug to another and I'm thinking what is the point is it really worth it ,I know thing it's a long slog ,do you know what mirtazapine does,and can you tell me how did it help you .
    • Posted

According to my psychiatrist, mirtazapine has more of a sedative action than venlafaxine, and fewer withdrawal symptoms. He did warn that many of the withdrawal symptoms people report could actually be the depression and anxiety coming back. All these drugs take several weeks to get into your system and start working. It's a hard painful slog in the meantime, though. You have to hope the doctor knows what he/she is talking about!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.