does mirtazapine help with anxiety?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was prescribed mirtazapine for anxiety, im not depressed but have anxiety and panic attacks, does this medication help with this?

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you have insomnia take 7mg. Or if your underweight take it. If not don't take them. They don't help with depression. I was on them for 2 years, put on 4 stones in weight, made my confidence go really down,hence more anxiety. My opinion is don't take them.

Don't know

• Posted

Well, one should consider  very lucky, if no side effects are experienced from the long term use of benzodiazepines . They are effective if used on and off basis. But ineffective if used continuously. At least that is my experience. There are very strict guidelines on prescribing them. 

As to putting on weight while on Mirtazipine- I did not put on any, but I do know many who have put on massively. The side effects vary with individuals. That is why there is no harm in trying it , if nothing else is working. 

• Posted

I am surprised you were prescribed mirtazapine for anxiety as they are manufactured for the treatment of major depressive illness according to their manufacture and BNF guidelines.
    • Posted

You are right in saying that Mirtazipine is for major depressive illness. However it can be used for anxiety disorders. A vast number of Psychiatrist prescribe this for anxiety if other anxiolytic meds. fail to give required benefit. This is my personal experience. And every individual responds differently to these type of medications.
    • Posted

The whole problem with psychiatric medicines is highlighted by your comment -'every individual responds differently to these types of medications'.

That is just one reason I am very doubtful of their usefulness. The reason that 100 people might feel better, despite the prescription being 'off Label', might have as much to do with a placebo effect. 

• Posted

It certainly helped me with anxiety & panic attacks, but only after about 1month. They got worse before they got better. 

It will make you gain weight. 

Also found out that the drug levels out after prolonged use. If so you will need to see your GP to up your dose. 

It is a really hard drug to withdraw from so please really consider if it is necessary to take before you start it

• Posted

Thank you all for your very informative replies.  I have decided against taking mirt. I have diazapam for pain relief and muscle spams which I rarely get now but find the diazapam helps calm me down in stressful situations and although not ideal as you can become addicted I think I prefer this option as a now and again as required option as I know it suits me. I Will look into a natural herbal remedy too I think, if anybody has any suggestions?
  • Posted

I'm the same in that I have now started Mirtazapine 15mg after moving off 30mg of Citalopram (very quickly on advice of my doctor so I am still having withdrawal!) and it has been tough.

I was originally prescribed the Citalopram because of my Generalised Anxiety Disorder. However, after speaking to different professionals in the field they suspect more issues...

It was awful for me at the start when I moved on to Citalopram, and I felt much worse before I felt better, however, I plateaued early on in the medication and only felt slight relief from my symptoms of anxiety, but non physically as when I had my anxiety attacks I would get a whole range of unpleasant physical symptoms. After a year I have now swapped over to 15mg of Mirtazapine and I honestly don't know if I am experiencing side-effects from coming off Citalopram or side-effects of starting Mirtazapine. I have heard it is better than conventional SSRI's if you're suffering from anxiety which has put me in a slightly better mindset.

However, I have been experiencing really bad aggression and this in turn caused me to have a severe panic attack in which I had to go to the hospital for to be assessed. Not fun!

I am just hoping they can take effect quickly as I have contemplated more than once just giving up and going back to what I am used to, in that case the Citalopram as I cannot cope with any change. The doctor also has stated I have Major Depressive Disorder, and I think that is due to my anxiety ruining my quality of life substantially, so I hope this medication can kill two birds with one stone.

As for the weight gain, I have ballooned after my initial anxiety. At my worst I lost over 2 stone because I couldn't eat properly for over a month, maybe even two months if memory serves, but I have gained about 4-5 stone after that period and I really don't want to gain anymore as I am not the skinniest person to begin with, putting it nicely. I hope I can take control of the weight gain, please let me know how you are getting on with the medication and we will beat this together and come out better for it!

All the best, 

Kyle.

• Posted

No, I take half a tablet now 7.5 mg. To help with sleep. When I was taking 15mg I put on four and a half stone in weight. Still find it to remove the weight. The physical and emotional effects of putting on so much weight is definitely not worth the advantages,which are few. Leave it . Not a nice or helpful drug.

Take care.

• Posted

I am going to go to the doctors soon to speak about taking another type. With my anxiety I get very scared talking to the doctor about stuff like this as I get a lot of intrusive thoughts l spoke to them regarding the feelings I get, mostly the aggression and they said it was because I was infrequently taking 10mg of Citalopram to help with my withdrawal. They said I was feeling all these negative effects because of the citalopram and upped my Mirt to 30mg.

I think it is making me aggressive but im too scared to ask to come off them. I already weigh heavy and dont want to put more on.

• Posted

Im on mirtazapine 15mg because i was having trouble sleeping. I got ill with chest infection (first time having it) i was having trouble breathing which went into panic mode, so the doctor put me up to 30mg i can honestly say it made me worse overwhelming feeling going out, on edge all day, everyday. I went back doctors they have put me back on 15mg, im hoping it works like before fingers crossed. Everyone is different so im hoping it works for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.