Does my B12 injection affect my TSH level?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just been tested for an underactive thyroid and my TSH level is 4.86.  I have been told that as I had my B12 jab a week before my blood test that this could have raised my TSH level so it my not be a true reading.  Does anyone know if this is the case? My doctors think this is a normal level although I have lots of symptoms including weight gain, tiredness, croaky voice, brittle hair and nails.  I have changed my doctor and would just like to know how to approach this subject with them?  Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sue, have you got the ranges for tsh as it differs dependin on where you live. It is strange that you hve been told that having been given something your body was lacking i.e. b12 should result in a higher tsh. Unfortunately, the only 'true' reading is how this compares to what yours was before you became ill. Doctors tend to go by tsh only and don't consider your symptoms as being linked to thyroid disease.
    • Posted

Hi.  I am not sure of the range they use in my area but my tsh level in 2011 when I was first diagnosed with pernicious anaemia was 2.03 then in 2013 it was 2.19 now it is 4.86.  I am just so tired all the time, can't lose weight even though I am strictly dieting and quite a few other symptoms listed.

• Posted

Hi Sue, 4.86 for TSH is at the higher end of normal, but must be within the 'normal' range which is decided by biologists. Could you ask the doctor to repeat the test in a few weeks to 'rule out' the effect of the B12 injection? If your TSH is still the same, then B12 is not the culprit and you can argue for treatment based on your symptoms. Keep a list of your symptoms and let your doctor know what they all are. If your doctor won't help you, find one who will. 
  • Posted

Ask you Doc for these tests:

Cortisol/Adrenal

TSH

Free T4 and Free T3

Iron.Ferritin

Vit D

Antibodies TPO and TgAB

You may find it a struggle to get these, but persist.  Without the full picture (only half - is like driving half a car) you can't get a grasp on what is going on.  When you have THOSE new results you can properly begin to assess whats going on and take the right food and suppliments.  You must get the antibodies and if elevated you can look up Th1 or Th2 dominance - one is likely and you must try to even them out by boosting the lower one through right suppliments and eliminating products that boost the already overactive one.  Cut out gluten and a few other key areas like soy and dairy.  Drink filtered water, keep up any levels that are low... and seek a naturopath and possibly very good homeopath. May not work for everyone, but its worth looking into all areas around nutrition whilst taking the meds you may need if advised.  Even the meds will be specific to your ability to convert T4 to T3, the key thing is talk to your doctor, ask the questions you need answering.  Its you health and just their job.  They can walk away from you, but you're living with your health, so ultimately your responsibility to dig for answers that arent always forthcoming.  Not because they don't want to give them to you - they just don't feel confident enough with guess work.  And some of this is to them, guess work. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.