Does my child have autism? How to recognize it??

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son is 3 y.o.  He has no interst in games.He doesn't want to play with other children. He doesnt show any interest when his grandparents are coming ..no emotions at all. Im an concerned..could it be just his character??or is it smth to worry about and go to therapist?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I work with kids with autism both treatment and diagnosis. As a minimum what you describe is worth going to your pediatrician. They can do an exam and a mini questionnaire and refer you to a diagnostician if there are enough symptoms and then also if needed refer you to treatment in your area.

• Posted

I will go in a week to pediatrician. I ve made already an appointment.What I m thinking about is to undergo a test that search for genes that contribute to the risk for autism ...Have you had any experience??Is it worth doing??
    • Posted

As of this point there are no specific genetic markers. There are lots of clinical studies searching out for genetic markers but with the prevalence and also over diagnosis of autism currently I would suspect it would be difficult to identify any solid marker because so many are diagnosed with autism that don't have autism. I am very much for research in general. And it ultimately up to you. I would just consider what the cost for you is. If it doesn't hurt you or your child there is little harm in participating.

• Posted

We did it!The genetic testing was negative. We just did it for supporting research.The physician said we have to undergo behavioral evaluation.Should i realy make an oppointment by psychierist for autism evaluation for my son? It seems to me he is getting better.. 
    • Posted

I would say go to the appointment and have the assessment done. It is turns out it is nothing then wonderful, but if it is autism the earlier the intervention and ABA therapy the better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.