Does my hair look like it’s thinning at the parting?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have naturally fine hair and so do the rest of my family but i noticed recently the hair near my parting looks thinner. I'm 18 so this concerns me; i understand thinning hair can occur at any time though.

i got sunburned quite badly on my scalp a few weeks ago, it went bright red and the skin peeled after. so I'm not sure if that might have something to do with it.

I used t-gel for a week (three times) as i sometimes get dandruff and it has helped before but this time it made my scalp dryer and itchy.

would biotin supplements help me thicken my hair alongside sulfate free shampoos?

thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Evie! I don't know how voluminous your hair normally is or used to be, but judging from the photos, they do look a little thin, which is probably why you got the sunburn.

I've had some bad experiences with hair thickening tonics, shampoos, and vitamins, so I'd recommend you see your dermatologist to have him/her prescribe you a manipulated shampoo/tonic, if he/she thinks it's necessary.

• Posted

If you're looking for a proper diagnosis, it's required to post images that display your hair situation at different dates. Preferably with 3-6 months in between.

Regarding your questions related to hair thinning:

Supplementing with biotin doesn't help. Biotin is ONLY effective if your hairloss/thinning is caused by an inherited enzyme deficiency in biotinidase or holocarboxylase synthetase. A rare genetic disorder occurring in 1:60.000 births.

Many people and businesses alike claim biotin to be effective, but this is a lie. In over 99% of the population it's completely useless.

Anyway, i would recommend visit a dermatologist. In most cases, he/she will recommend a minoxidil 2% solution.

Piece of advice: always be sceptical towards health claims that are made in favour of cosmetics. Businesses always speak highly when it comes to their products, but rarely have scientific evidence to show for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.