Does OA effect a lot of joints?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I understand that OA is typically caused by the wearing out of the joint and is therefore common in the elderly. Well I've developed OA in so many joints that I'm starting to wonder if something is causing my joints to wear out quickly.

2 years ago I only had OA in my back and in my thumbs. Now OA is effecting several joints in several fingers on both hands, my knees and my neck. And my thumbs and back are 10 times worse then they were.

I am a 57 yo female and I was on long term prednisone which I am no longer taking. It caused osteoporosis and I broke 8 bones in 6 months last year. I am suspecting it might also be the culprit for causing all my joints to fail. 9

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am really sorry that your suffering from Osteoarthritis in so many joints. I have suffered from Arthritis since aged 11, i first had Septic arthritis then Osteoarthritis. We are led to believe that it's caused from ageing or in our genes. I have had constant pain for at least the last 20 years in my body. I have no answers as to why some people suffer more or at an earlier age. Your relatively still young. Once we start with Arthritis it does seem to affect other joints. All we can do is deal with the pain and pace ourselves as best we can. ( I have a hot water bottle behind my back as i type now, i have just woken up and in pain already ). I take Pregabalin, it helps with sleep, thou i don't sleep for long. Stretching exercises can help. I hope you can find answers and that your able to find ways to cope, what works for one person may not work for another, the same with medications.

• Posted

I don't know the answer to your question but I am so sorry that you are having so many joints affected by OA. I couldn't find any information on long term prednisone causing multiple joint OA when I did some searching

But my thoughts are with you and hopefully you are on a medication for osteoporosis that is effective and that they can get your pain under control

• Posted

My comment was cropped off as was my last post on this forum. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Just wanted to say my thoughts are with you

• Posted

Bless you and may your pain be less intense

Best regards, Gloria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.